5. An overripe turnip

Angie packed her waitress uniform and shoved it inside her backpack. Thank God she had a short shift today, because she was so tired. She'd stayed up the previous night to study for her latest biology test. The results weren't in yet, but if she didn't get at least an A on it, there was no way she could make up for two low grades.

Sometimes, she wondered what it would be like to not stress about test scores all the time. She quickly snuffed the thought because it was damn depressing. Things could've been much worse. She could still be living with Tiana, pimp extraordinaire. Kay's place was much better. Even if a little noisy. She could hear Kay screaming at someone. Probably Danny.

Angie sighed and made her way into the hall. The screaming became much clearer.

"I have a good mind to tell your parents," Danny yelled.

"I don't give a flying fuck! Maybe that way they'll believe me when I say I won't get over Kyle," Kay yelled back.

"You shouldn't be saying his name," Danny growled. "You know you're not allowed."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm in love with Kyle Grant!" Kay said, her voice even louder. "Sound familiar, Danny?"

"Shut up," he said quietly. "Shut your damn mouth, now."

"Make me. But if you touch me, you'll regret it."

Angie pushed the door to Kay's room open. There was no way in hell she was letting Danny lay one finger on Kay. Though Kay would probably break his finger or any other limb he used to touch her. Danny and Kay both turned to her. He looked like an overripe turnip, but she had a mocking smile on her face, as if she took savage pleasure from the fight. It was a little scary.

"I'm heading out," Angie said causally. "Would you like to join me, Kay?"

Kay tilted her head as though trying to figure out the catch, then finally nodded and headed for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Danny asked.

"Fuck off, Danny," Kay answered and started down the stairs.

Angie didn't know if she should say something to Danny or not, so she hurried after Kay. Over the past weeks, she'd grown to really dislike Danny. He was acting as if Kay was his property, hitting on her out of the blue, obviously oblivious to the meaning of the word no. No wonder Kay was screaming and cursing at him every chance she got. Namely when her parents weren't home. Because Danny was like their baby, the son they never had. And he was so sweet and attentive towards them. But Angie could see through his bullshit. She could also see that this boy had nothing in common with the Danny she knew. That guy had been funny, intelligent, with potential. In Kay's words, the drugs had probably fried his brain.

They walked in silence to the bus stop and waited to get into town. Kay's jaw was clenched tightly and Angie guessed she was holding back tears. No matter how brave she played it in front of Danny, saying Kyle's name had obviously taken its toll on her.

Angie wasn't sure how to feel about this Kyle either. Kay obviously loved him to bits, but if he returned her feelings, why wasn't he here? Why didn't he try to get her out of this hell hole? Kay didn't talk about him much, and Angie wouldn't push, afraid to open old wounds. But maybe Kay should try moving on. It's been months already and she wasn't getting better.

"Where are we going?" Kay asked when they got off the bus.

"I actually have to get to work. I just wanted to get you away from Danny."

Kay nodded and followed Angie into the diner. She headed to the back to put on her uniform while Kay found a table to settle down. When Angie came back out, she found Kay at the counter, talking to her boss, Earl. He seemed thrilled for some reason and kept nodding and making googly eyes.