Jasper

A/N: pic to the side is the infamous Jasper. Although the character is a dick, I gotta say, Adrien Salaun, the model I cast as him, is rather nerdalicious. Hot, lanky guy with glasses, ladies with a nerd kink: you're welcome :P

_________________________________________________________________

Gideon grinned in the darkness, stalking her latest prey. In the days since the attack on Luna, Doctor Cyr had asked all the Councillors to keep their ears open in their intakes to listen for who had been responsible for the Black Magic containment spell. The obvious suspect in Gidster's group was the witch Trinity, but Gideon knew better than to just assume and accuse. Too often the same has been done to her own kind and authorities have missed the real bad guys. Everything was proceeding as if the Camp were normal, except that the Councillors were running a few quiet, cautious interviews. And while no one was looking, Gideon also took out of her vastly shrinking pool of spare time, a few moments each day to come out to the Punt and study it.

The Punt was different somehow, it looked as if another hue of colour had been added to the mix of the Punt and Gideon could not simply shrug it off. Her Fury was too persistent for that. Her instincts were letting her know this could be important and Gideon just wasn't arrogant enough to go against her instincts. After 18 years of them keeping her alive and a step ahead of the executioners, she'd developed a trust in them that would take a lot to break. Those instincts had been telling her for the last ten minutes that someone was following her.

Whoever it was that had decided to try and hunt the hunter, they were doing a passable job of it, but were no where near good enough to actually escape notice. Even using magic to muffle the sounds of movement, Gideon could tell someone was back there, because whomever it was had failed to realize that the animals were going quiet around them while they stalked. Gideon had mastered the skill of moving through a forest like she was simply one of the creatures that belonged there. The man behind her had no such skill, and the scent of old spice lingering in the air as Gideon circled around told her who it was chasing after her.

Other predators growl as they hunt, the instinct too strong to suppress. A Fury like Gideon however, was the silent predator type, so Jasper had absolutely no warning when she flashed out of the bushes and tackled him to the ground. He let out a string of curses and they would have been more powerful than just words except that Gideon had zapped him at the same time she'd crashed into him. To use Magic, a person needs mental clarity as much as they need a spell and Portentum blood in their veins. It's very hard to use Magic after getting a Fury zap, even a mild one. It just left the neurons of the brain firing too randomly to let most Magickers function. A few of the more carefully trained were able to keep gonig even after a full on Fury zap. Jasper wasn't one of them.

Gideon found herself crouching over Jasper, her hand around his throat gently when one of the Head Councillors shone a flashlight on them. Of course, this had to be one of the Head Councillors that was relatively new and still skittish around the Fury. The Fury still close to the surface suddenly surged up and Gideon found herself overwhelmed with her own instincts for the first time in years.

Rolling to the side before the shock gun the Head Councillor fired could hit her, Gideon faded into the shadows around her, knowing that with the darkness of the Fury inside, she'd be harder to spot, even to Magic enhanced eyes. "He was following me, using Magic to shield his presence. I was defending myself." Gideon said from the darkness.

"Liar! You attacked me. I was just doing a perimeter when you..." Jasper tried to lie but the Head Councillor silenced him with a gesture. Just what Gideon needed, another freaking Curser. There were many, many names for Portentum creatures, some accurate, and some merely a description. A Curser was one of the Magic users, only their gifts were literal curses. On the flip side they were also known as the Blessers, because they could sanctify something as easily as curse it, but Curser sounds so much more bad ass.