Chapter 42: Revelation

Previously in Deception:

Once it boots up, I immediately press play, my heart beating so quickly within my chest.

Suddenly, a small sound is heard through each ear bud and we listen.

"Hi Charlie." A voice says into the tape recorder.

"Hi Ms. Mapil." I hear a voice and I immediately recognize it as my own. This is me, talking.

"How are you doing today Charlie?" she asks and I recognize this Ms. Mapil's voice from somewhere. It seems so...apparent.

"I am ok. I am ready to get started."

"Oh, good. Don't worry Charlie, we'll have you all better in no time." The sound of Ms. Mapil's voice is the last thing we hear before the tape stops. I look down at in confusion, as does Niall

"Give me the tape." I whisper angrily. Niall pops open the side and hands me the tape. I examine the side and a smile appears on my face.

"Good job Mom." I mutter to myself, amazed by my mother's intelligence. It is clearly visible that she removed half of the tape from the right side. She took out whatever part she didn't want someone to hear.

"What are we going to do now?" Niall asks me as I stand up.

"We're going to Ms. Mapil." I say and Niall's eyes widen.

"You know who it is?" he asks and I nod.

"As smart as my mother was, she always underestimated me." I say. I didn't recognize the lady's name, Ms. Mapil, because that was her maiden name. She later got married when I was twelve.

I haven't called her Ms. Mapil ever since then.

"Do you know where she is? Who is she?"

I take a big breath as I pick up the tape recorder and cling it to my chest. "She's my therapist. Let's go."

Chapter 42

I look up at the rusted old building and frown.

"How long has it been since you have seen her?" Niall stands next to me, blocking my body from the cool wind.

"No more than two years. I told my mom that we needed the money for my college and that I was better."

"But you lied."

"Clearly my elope to London can clarify that." I roll my eyes, annoyed.

"So she moved offices. Can't be that hard to find." Niall shrugs and I glare at him.

"Let's go to the coffee shop and we can use a computer to look up the new address." I urge.

Niall follows me down the street as I cling my jacket even tighter against my chest.

Behind me, I hear Niall's phone ring. I turn around slowly and he stares at the number, scratching his head.

"Who is it?" I ask and Niall looks away from my eyes.

"If it's him, give it to me." I narrow my eyes.

When he doesn't reply, I snatch the phone from his grasp and press talk.

"Charlie?" Harry asks breathless.

I stay silent because I am still pissed off at him. He was probably so drunk that he doesn't remember what he said to me.