His Songbird : A for Accentor

A for Accentor

Accentor- songbird

Words: 940

****

She was gifted, there was no doubt about it. Her talent was clear the moment she began her journey at the academy. She spun melodies effortlessly, as if she perceived the world with sound. Words were not enough to describe the lurching emotionality of her work. Tweaked to perfection, each one specific in its essence. Her ability to weave chords with lyrics meant to pull you into its fantasy shot her acclaim as a composer through the roof. To her, it was an innate capability, for expression and spreading joy. Her humility was odd but endearingly refreshing. Her recent days at the academy have been hectic; not even mentioning the increased workload or pressure of upcoming exams, Haruka was now, without a question, the most sought-after composers on campus. And with the cutthroat atmosphere during this time of the school year looming despairingly over students' heads, settings have become survival-of-the-fittest. There were few measures idols would not resort to in order to secure a composer who could guarantee successful songs and top marks. Haruka, as meek and unassuming she tried to be, could not avoid the stares and approaches of her peers. Her naivety being quite well-known, she was quickly the target of those aiming to take advantage of her disposition and gain some prestige. Thankfully, as gullible as she may seem, she was even more-so steadfast. She focused on her studies and trusted that she would find someone she resonated with, someone she could trust, to build a strong relationship with...the hopeless romantic in her couldn't shut up about finding love within her partnership.

Tokiya was different...he hoped. He liked to think he was the only one who could see past her persona as a composer. He would know a thing or two about facades after all. He was the only one who saw her as a wholesome girl first, whose heart was too big for her own good, whose pure emotionality sought outlets to be expressed. His mind is usually alight racing about a million and one things, his thoughts pushing him towards slight disassociation. But when he thinks about her, his brain is inconveniently wiped of all else. There's a pleasant buzz and a warmth that spreads when he thinks of her soft smile and tinkling laughter. Hearing echoes of her music? Forget about it, he'd be near incoherent.

Tokiya realizes that he's not quite out of his mind when the music grow louder as he walks further down the corridor. Thinking it was all in his head, he's curious to find that the previously unintelligible music is streaming out from the sound room he was just in a few hours ago. He was on his way back to retrieve some music sheets he left behind, but finding the door slightly ajar, he cautioned a peek inside, hoping to resolve the niggling feeling of familiarity at the sounds of the singing. Tuning into the voice, he felt a sudden breathlessness when he realized that the girl seated at the piano serenading an empty room was the same girl whose been the main occupant of his  thoughts the past few weeks. The breeze from the open window seemed to carry her words to him with a caress.

It was rare to hear her sing when she was so caught up writing music rather than performing it. He knew a golden opportunity when he saw it, so he zoned into her sweet, airy voice. If he thought she sounded angelic normally, hearing her lost in song made Tokiya wonder if this was how sailors were bewitched by sirens. As ingrained as his perfectionist habits were, even he could not bring himself to be a stickler for technicalities while listening to Haruka sing or watching her delicate fingers dance across the piano.

It didn't take much for him to pair together the desire and pining in her voice with the profound sadness in her eyes. Haruka was performing a love song. The implication of her one-sided love pulled something in his chest taut and blurred his vision. There was the voice again, so loud now that everything he was hearing sounded garbled. It was screaming at him that his glaringly obvious affections would never be reciprocated. Screeching that he would just have to accept that Haruka loves another. But there was something else. The small vestige in the back of his mind that told him he has a chance...that was all he needed. To quell his doubts, to finally pursue something for his own happiness, with his own power. Or rather, someone.

Tokiya took a step into the room, his stride strong with purpose and impulsive confidence. The whine of the door being pushed open brought abrupt halt to Haruka's playing.

Years of experience kept his face composed, not betraying the fact that he had been eavesdropping for awhile. When she spun around wide-eyed with surprise, he watched as her expression softened and posture relaxed upon seeing that it was him. Locking eyes with her at this moment gave Tokiya the distinctive feeling that this was the climax of his life and everything relative to him was inconsequential. He could now only see her and nothing else.

Thinking about her turning that loving gaze up at some faceless, nameless man heated him up beyond reason. There was an ugly churning in his gut that he quickly stomped out.

"Ichinose-san?"

"Haruka." Despite his erratic heartbeat, he managed to utter out her name, somehow punctuating the reality of his confession.

He loved his little songbird.