Opposites Attract: C for Cupid

C for Cupid

Cupid- a matchmaker

Words: 546

"Ran-ran. You're so mean." Reiji pouted. Narrowing his eyes, he managed to stare down the puppy-eyed senior opposite him.

"And how, exactly, am I mean?" Ranmaru probed, his eyes narrowed.

"Haru-chan asked you if you wanted to help her write lyrics for her new song for us and you grunted? She was asking you on a date!" Reiji exclaimed, appalled at the idea of turning down an invitation from Haruka.

It was true though; one hour prior to this conversation, Haruka had bumped into Ranmaru in the hallways, saying she was going to the garden behind the school during lunch to finish up the songs for Quartet Night. She had asked if he'd like to join her afterwards, but Ranmaru's response was a low grunt, which Haruka took as rejection.

Looking disappointed for a moment before cheerfully chirping a "goodbye," the composer shuffled away. Little did they know, Reiji was secretly watching from the shadows, mentally noting to himself to scold Ranmaru.

"Fine then, if you're not going to go, I'm going to take her for myself." Reiji huffed, skipping away to find the composer by her trademark spot, under the sakura tree. This caught Ranmaru off-guard, as his friend had never been so bold before. Of course, he didn't know that Reiji was only joking.

Ugh, what a bother. He ran a hand through his hair, shutting his heterochromic eyes. Despite his inner grumblings, Ranmaru still made his way to the gardens of Saotome Academy.

Jeez. Is he coming or not? Reiji thought, exasperated. Not that I mind staying here. Taking a peek at the composer seated beside him, he noticed she was indeed very attractive. He smirked. Maybe this'll be my win.

Ranmaru watched Haruka deep in thought, biting her lip every now and then. Reiji could practically see the melodies that ran through her mind in tidbits while she tried to record them on the music sheet.

"Ahem."

The sound came from behind Haruka, surprising her. Reiji chuckled at her expression. She had buried herself so deep in her thoughts that she didn't even notice Ranmaru's footsteps advancing towards her.

Reiji flashed his friend a smirk, and watched as his friend flush, embarrassed by the fact that he'd taken the bait.

"Well, it seems my job is done here, so I'll be going now." Reiji said smugly, flashing his glaring friend a knowing smile. Before he crept away, he leaned in towards Ranmaru.

"Good for you Ran-ran. You tiger." Reiji taunted, chuckling. He bid farewell to Haruka as well, still grinning like the Cheshire cat, earning some odd looks from Haruka, who timidly waved goodbye. With this, he walked away, giving the soon-to-be couple one last glance.

Reiji's never seen Ranmaru genuinely smile before, so today was a special day. The supposed antisocial idol was doing quite well with Haruka. They were laughing together, Haruka having struck a conversation as soon as her new company had sat down beside her, both of them seeming head over heels with each other.

How nice. I should sign up to be a Cupid. I'm pretty good at this. The triumphant Reiji was skipping away from the pair, whistling a peppy tune.