Joy and Nostalgia: E for Eidetic

E for Eidetic

Eidetic- a vivid mental image or memory.

Words: 741

******************

It was a cold winters day, and the wind was chilly, but not yet unforgivingly bitter. There were little snowflakes drifting down from above, melting almost instantaneously.

My nose was red and nearly frozen, not to mention highly uncomfortable. Even this minor detail I can remember because I was complaining about it over and over again in my head. I can recall the weather down to the very last detail even now.

Looking back now, I realize how stunned and awed I was back then. I didn't know it then, but I was star-struck. With what, I didn't know. I knew it was with the kindness I'd witnessed, and the happy children singing - or at least learning to. But I didn't even know the girl I was so drawn to that day. She was merely a stranger to me.

It was an astonishing sight really. A girl standing above a group of young children, teaching them the words to a child's song. I faintly heard her soft and gentle voice lulling the song to the kids. They were happy as can be to join her as she waved her fingers and hands around like she was already a professional composer. And to me, it seemed like she was.

She did look completely comfortable doing what she did, and it looked as if it were natural for her to be compared to a street performer.

Her hair contrasted the white snow greatly. It was like a bright orange flame amidst the pure background. And her eyes.

Those eyes, even from nearly across the street, I could catch a glimpse of her citrus colored irises. An odd combination, really; was what I thought back then. Now I see that her hair, her eyes, everything about her was captivating.

At that moment, I soon realized something. Something that would eventually change the course of my life completely.

I decided: 'I'm going to be an idol.'

At the time, it seemed like a wonderful idea after seeing the girl's performance with the children. I was inspired, you could say. But I knew, there'd be huge conflicts with my dad.

Being the eldest son of an owner of a powerful company, life was constricting and tough. I took it for granted, what I had. I was childish in my own ways, and I apologize, father for that.

I didn't think I'd meet the girl again after that one-sided encounter.

Boy, was I wrong.

Don't ever underestimate the power of the red string of fate, was the lesson I learned. It's a small world after all.

After what seemed like forever to me, I finally met the mysterious heroine again. This time in a school for the growing idols and composers.

Somehow, I wasn't surprised. Her talent was permeating off of her when I first saw her. My intuition is almost always correct anyway.

And as if she hasn't lured me in enough, she finds it necessary to seduce me and my friends with her naive charm even further along the course of the semester. I don't know if she's intentionally oblivious to my fellow companions' feelings toward her, but I knew that I was truly, and madly in love with her.

Now, here I am, making this inhumanly long speech declaring my love to my one and only love, Haruka.

But I never did outright, officially say this. So I will now.

Masato turned his head to the side to look into his bride's eyes. He saw tears of joy and affection brimming in her eyes and he smiled.

From the corners of his sight, he saw his friends and family, and Haruka's guests seated in rows, all of them gazing at him and his bride emotionally, with envy, pride, and a whole mix of emotions. He guessed the other feelings being emitted were the result of him indirectly telling Haruka that they all had feelings for her.

He bristled with pride himself at his rivals drooling over Haruka in her pure white, form-fitting dress. It was a very special occasion today, and he couldn't wait to revel in the feeling of being able to love Haruka with all of his being.

Turning back to face the audience, he said:

"Haruka, I love you."

The wedding reception ended with a roar of applause and cheers, and a very happy couple of newly-weds.