Silent Permission: D for Damoiseau

Words: 2648

*****

D for Damoiseau

Damoiseau: a young man not yet dubbed a knight.

It was a soothing afternoon in the park. The weather had been very merciful this week and summer's reign of heat was nearly over with autumn on the brink of beginning. The temperatures were gradually dropping, and the trees were going from a healthy green to a warm, vibrant range of orange, yellow, and red.

Syo had been running laps since noon, and it was now three.

He decided he would run one last lap around the park before heading back for a good freshening up. When he approached an isolated park bench behind a hill, he spotted a vibrant head of hair hovering over some papers. Looking closer, the figure slumped over the papers was scrawling furiously and Syo realized she was writing music.

It was Haruka. Syo slowly crept forward, allowing her time to realize his presence. She never did.

"Ah!" He shouted abruptly. Haruka jumped in her seat, letting out a shriek of surprise. Looking up and seeing Syo's face, she let out a sigh. Whether it was one of relief or annoyance, he'd never know. Syo grinned at her, and took a seat beside her on the bench.

"So? Who's the song for?" He asked, vying that she would peer up at him bashfully and present it to him, confessing her undying love for him.

"Oh. It's just a piece I'm working on. I write down any songs that I think of." She replied, her gaze still glued to the pages.

"Mm-hmm." Syo mumbled, slightly disappointed.

Suddenly, he got a brilliant idea. Sure, it was going to cost him more than enough malicious glares when his friends found out, but he figured if everything went well, it'd be worth it.

"It's starting to get dark," Haruka said, peering up at the sky. Syo was still deep in thought when Haruka looked at him inquisitively.

"Haruka-chan? I need to ask you something," he began. When Haruka nodded encouragingly, he continued, "Do you have any plans tomorrow? I want to take you somewhere."

There was a brief silence that made Syo want to retract his invitation in fear of rejection, but when Haruka chirped her acceptance, he couldn't help but feel surprise at her nonchalance. He'd expected some blushing, maybe some stuttering. He helped her shuffle her sheets together, pulling her up from her seat and stepped back to let her adjust.

When she sneezed, Syo threw an arm around her shoulders, pulling her closer despite the incoherent protests. He hid a self-satisfactory smirk as they walked out of the park and back to the dorms.

"So where are we going tomorrow?" Haruka was still meek from his bold contact.

"The aquarium!" Syo announced, despite knowing this was a cliché; he preferred to call it classic. Haruka brightened, overjoyed by the idea of spending a day at the aquarium. Syo smiled to himself, relieved by her reaction.

The remainder of the walk was left to a comfortable silence. Walking into the lounge room that Starish occupied, it didn't occur to either why they were warranting so many stares as they entered.

The first to notice was Otoya. He gasped in surprise, catching the attention of the rest in the room. Eyebrows raised, Ren drawled while concealing his own envy,"Well, look who turned out to be the wolf."

When their confuddled expressions didn't clear, Ren gestured at Syo and his arm. Realizing the indication, Haruka's face bloomed a gorgeous shade of red. Soon getting the gist, Syo's arm flew off her shoulder.