Chapter 18

March 15th, 2019- 2 years ago

My mother always used to celebrate her birthday and mine by staying at her house. It was the same dinner every year: steak and fried potatoes. I always thought it was strange how she cooked the same dinner every year for my birthday, and the fact that we never went outside the house.

I finally realized she didn't want me to go out of the house for any celebration with my friends for my birthday. It made sense though, my friends would ask me to come over to their house or go out to eat with them, but my mother would say no. Dad never had a say in anything I could do, he just followed and agreed with what my mother said.

Dad was quite a strange man, but not as strange as my mother. He would always disappear mysteriously when I was younger, and even before he left my mother and I. These theories had crowded my head, telling me that my father was cheating on my mother. That was the main idea that had always stuck in my mind and I was deeply afraid of it. It wouldn't have been a surprise of my father cheating on my mom.

It was strange on his disappearances, though. His timing was so odd, but I had finally figured out what it was. After him and mom would have an argument, he would stay at the house for a couple hours, and then just leave unannounced. The idea of cheating came from him leaving after my mother and his fight.

Dad didn't seem mad after he got into an argument with mom. It seemed it was mostly my mother doing the yelling, my father calming her down. I never knew what their fights were about though because they always closed their damn bedroom door and told me to stay in my room.

God, how I wanted to know what the hell was going on back then. I was only nine when the fights started, and they continued to go on. Dad wasn't having an affair with my mother, I figured that out. He spent his days at the old bar on the corner of the street, drinking away the memories of what happened.

I didn't have many friends in high school, but the few I had very partiers. They were also drinkers, so I found out the hard way of what my father had been doing. My friends went out to the bar one night, and my father had just left from another fight with my mother. The rest is easily figured out.

What brings up my mother and father is my mother's birthday. Today is her birthday, and I have not spoke to her in about year. My mind is fuzzy on how long it has been because it wasn't a clear time. For some reason, I wanted to keep coming back since I had left my childhood home, but I didn't go back.

"El!" I hear my front door slam shut, and Harry's voice scream throughout the house.

Standing up from my bed, I drop the book I had been currently reading on my nightstand and start walking to the kitchen. Many questions ran through my mind as I think about how the hell Harry got into my house. Did I leave the door unlocked? I swear, if I did, that's never going to happen ever again.

"Harry, how the hell did you get in my house?" I spoke, walking into the kitchen to see a full head of curls in my refrigerator.

It was my Harry, of course, but I was confused to why he was in my refrigerator. Well, actually, I wasn't. Most of the people I know would probably come over to my house and the first thing on their mind would be food. Hell, it would be the first problem on my mind if I went over to somebody's house.

"You know, Ellie," Harry started off, turning around with some jelly in his hand and bread in the other. "It's not good to keep your back door unlocked." A small grin appeared on his face as he looked down at the package of bread.

Holy shit was all I could think, looking at how fucking hot Harry looked.

A plain, white shirt was sported under a blue and white plaid shirt. Those black skinny jeans were wrapped around Harry's legs, but surprisingly, there were no cut out holes in these. Brown boots were adorned with this outfit, along with a brown hat on top of his curly strands. I had never seen him with a hat on, but damn, he should wear hats more often.