Prologue

I skip a rock on the surface of the lake, not bothering to count how many times it goes.

My eyes are unfocused, the sounds around me are muffled, all I'm aware of is the scene that keeps playing in my mind. The moment that everything turned to s***.

I lost my best friend, my brothers, the Academy, and the girl I love.

And why is that? Because I'm apparently a selfish b*****d that wants to have a girlfriend of his own. And not just any girl. Sang.

Ridiculous. Right?

I mean, what teenage guy wouldn't want to share the girl he's over the moon about with eight other guys. In every way.

I run my hand through my hair, pulling hard as I do. My eyes blur, and my throat burns.
The phone in my pocket vibrates. I take it out and read the text:

Mr. Griffin, if you do not return or contact us within the hour, we will assume you want to cut ties. Family is a choice, and if it's your decision to no longer be a part of ours, we will accept it.

My heart pounds, and my body shakes. They've been my family, my security, my brothers, and friends almost my entire life. I can't imagine not having them. I hold back a sob and take a shuddering breath. My hand tightens around the phone. My only connection to them at the moment.

I pull back my arm and thrust it forward... hurling the last remnant of the life I've always known, into the lake.