Mated Under the Full Moon (9)

Heyy guys :) "Caroline" here!! So I'm sorry this is really short and boring. Next one will be a little more interesting, I hope. Thanks for supporting my first story! Make sure to check my other ones. If you haven't already, please check my own account, anonymouschick13! Thanksss!!! Enjoy!

“Mimi Woodrow, would you give me the honor of escorting you to the mating ball?” Roderick looked nothing but sincere and hopeful when he popped the question. It caught me by surprise, that’s for sure.

The mating ball is a ball that happens a week prior to the ritual. It’s a tradition we started not too many years ago. It’s to familiarize our selves with all the others that are going to be in the ritual as well, to kind of calm us, I suppose.

Dates are not mandatory, but people always end up going with someone, and more often than not, the person they went with doesn’t turn out to be their mate.

I stared, dumbfounded, at Rod, who still gazed at me with an intense look on his face. I honestly didn’t know how I would respond to him. Finally, I put him out of his misery, and spoke up.

“Um, me? Why?” I asked.

“Why not?” he retorted, raising his eyebrows in question.

“You’re serious?” I asked, feeling skeptical. I’m half expecting Ashton Kutcher to pop out and say that I’ve been Punk’d.

He nodded, looking completely serious. “Of course. You’re my best friend, Meena, and I couldn’t imagine any other girl. Besides, I want to go with you.”

My heart raced at the confession. He probably doesn’t mean anything by it, my better judgment admonished.

“Um, sure,” I told him. “I’d be happy for you to take me.”

His grin is so wide I’m almost afraid that his mouth may just split. I returned his grin.

“So I’ll see you then,” he said. I giggled at the sight of him. He looked relieved.

“And maybe before that too, Rod.”

He shrugged, looking sheepish.

“I should get going, Alpha duties,” he said, reaching out and pulling me to him. “See you.”

I waved as I watch him go off.

*

“Are you crazy?” my mom demanded. “You have to get a new dress!”

I rolled my eyes. When I told my mom that Rod had asked me to attend the ball with him, she insisted on going out and helping me pick a new dress, despite my refusal to. I have plenty of good dresses at him. I tell her.

“It’s not the same,” she said. “You need a new one!”

“The ball is not a big deal,” I said, shaking my head.

“Everything that has to do with the mating ritual is a big deal, Meena. It’s a real big deal to us werewolves.”

I shrugged. I knew she was right, but I didn’t think I would need to go and buy a new dress for the ball. Rod would probably think it would be too much anyways.

“Come on.” She tugged on my arm, leaving no time for further discussion. “We’re going to find you the perfect dress so that even if you don’t find you’re mate at the upcoming full moon, everyone will want to court you.”

Sometimes I wonder why my mom has moments like these where she's like my best friend more than my mother.

*

“Hey Mimi.”

I look up for the paper I’m writing for class and see that it’s Ryker. He’s running his hands through his thick hair and looks a little anxious.

“Hey,” I said, returning my attention to the paper. I quickly finish it and look back to Ry, who took a seat on my bed and is fiddling with his thumb absently.

I store my notebook in my bag and walk over to take a seat next to Ry. “What’s up, bud?”

“So here’s the deal,” he said, looking weirdly at me. “I need a date to the ball, and I need your help.”

I scoffed. “Ryker needs my help?” I teased.

He rolled his eyes. “I want to ask Elisa,” he said slowly.

I raised my eyebrows. “Part of the bet?” I asked, slightly annoyed at him.

He shook his head quickly. “No, I’m sincere.”

“Really? What brought on this?”

He shrugged. “Well I talked to her the other day and she seems genuine,” he said.

“You’re into her!” I said, not a question, but a statement.

“Ha,” he laughed. “No way, just friends, Meena. It’s just that she’s not affected by me and it’s refreshing. I want to bring her, but…”

“But?” I asked.

“She’s human,” he reminded me.

It was a rare thing to invite humans to the balls, as it’s hard to explain to them what we are talking about during the speeches the elders give. But of course it’s something that has been done before. Humans are sometimes introduced to us for purposes of friendship or mating.

“You want to introduce her to us?” I asked.

He nodded. “But I need your help because I know she’ll freak.”

“Wow, you’re serious,” I said.

He shrugged. “Like I said, just friends.”

I nodded, not completely believing him. But I can see that he really wants this. I agree to help him.

“You know I’ll do basically anything for you.”

He smiled. “Even murder?”

“If worse comes to worst,” I told him.

“I love you!” He grinned, pulling me to him and embracing me in a bear hug.

My heart lurches against my chest. To hide my blush, I bury my face into his chest.

“Love you too,” I murmured.

Team Rod? Team Ry?

Vote.Comment.Fan.