Chapter 2: Hanji's Mistake

The expedition team consisting of Levi's squad and Hanji's squad gather around to discuss their objective. Mainly, all that's to be accomplished is to scout the titans that are constantly arriving everyday at a certain time, but you're hunting them down before they get near the walls.

You take it upon yourself to bring out the horses for the teams because of your love of animals that developed after seeing something other than what was in The Underground. These horses are well taken care of and their hair is shining, but you're not attached to them because their end can be just as abrupt as your own.

You lead them to each of your comrades and make sure Levi gets his favorite--a chocolate brown horse that is just the right height that he doesn't need a foot stool to climb on. Yours is a jet black color and has a smooth mane like no other.

The horse gallops so you're next to Levi's where you're allowed to be in this situation since you're helping keep his squad in proper formation. Hanji is behind the two of you with her second-in-command as well and the rest of the squads take up the rear.

Soon, you're riding out of the gate with civilians doing whatever it is they do as you go out to fight the enemy.

"When we spot the target or targets, do not engage until you're ordered to!" Levi directs over the group.

The ride is only five minutes before spotting a wide array of thin trees about a mile away. It seems that someone spotted something on the ground, so the squads are forced to go a little more east to check out the object for safety precautions.

When you get closer to the strange black object, Levi dismounts his horse along with Gunther and two members of Hanji's squad. You stay alert and keep watch as you hear the four walking closer to the object and their mumbling about what it could be.

Out of nowhere, a titan appears and runs at the group with stumbling balance. Your adrenaline spikes, but as quickly as the titan appears, it oddly retreats and dashes toward the woods.

"Hey!" Hanji shouts and takes off on her horse. "Come back here! I want to talk to you!"

"Dammit, Hanji!" you growl, your instincts kicking in and you speed off after her since you know her own squad won't without orders to and Levi probably just realized what's happening.

You hear your names being called as you race over the terrain. Hanji is not only a Squad Leader but a comrade and close friend. Going off on her own after a titan is a sure way to get herself killed and you're not letting that happen. It's not like you to go off the plan, but you know the others will be perfectly fine and you're more than capable of taking care of yourself.

"Hanji! Stop!" you shout as she continues trying to get the titan's attention.

"Let's chat, come on! Why aren't you paying attention to me!?" Hanji yells.

You're soon swooped into the brush of the forest and heading down a dark path, simply following your superior and trying to knock some sense into her. Suddenly, you watch them break through a large clearing with streams of sunlight hitting the grass before you do so as well.

You pull your horse to a stop as you see the titan slam into the tree and Hanji jump off her own to approach it.

"Hanji-" you begin, but stop when the titan whips around and snaps its jaws at the too curious scientist.

You stand on the saddle and take out your swords before clicking the button, connecting the grappling hooks to the tree and swinging around the titan's body to get a clear shot of its neck.

"(Y/N)! Wait!"

Compulsively, you hear the voice of your superior other than the friend you're trying to protect and hesitate in slashing the final blow because the first thing you learn in training is taking orders from those above you and it's drilled into your mind to react on their words.

Because of your hesitation, the titan is able to take advantage and wrap it's huge hand around your body. You drop your blades and your arms are trapped at your sides. You choke back a scream as the titan opens its mouth and starts pulling you closer to its slimy tongue. You're thrashing as hard as you can, and before you're basically devoured, a figure swoops in and slices the neck of the titan.

The grip on you loosens and you fall to the ground, landing in the limp hand of the dead titan. Levi lands next to you, dropping his swords and effectively hoists you to your feet.

"Are you injured?" he asks in that dull tone but you can see he's worried as he is for all his comrades.

"No, thank you," you say, pushing a strand of hair from your face and taking a deep breath.

Levi looks you over once more before slowly turning to Hanji who seems more concerned about her precious test subject dying instead of your near death as she falls to her knees beside the decomposing body. The soldiers are standing around the scene, awaiting the wrath their Corporal is about to unleash.

Levi reaches down and grabs the front of Hanji's uniform to make her face him and he bends down so their faces are merely inches apart.

"If you want to end up as titan shit, I won't stop you, but don't endanger your comrades!" Levi seethes vehemently.

Hanji lets out a nervous chuckle. Big mistake. "Titans don't defecate. They don't have digestive systems, after all."

The smartass response only seems to anger Levi further and he pushes Hanji away from himself with a scowl. You almost died and all she can do is be an inconsiderate know-it-all.

You retrieve your blades as Levi gets his own and takes out a handkerchief to wipe whatever imaginary germs are on them before putting them in their holders.

"We're heading back right now. Let's go," Levi commands.

The soldiers salute before going back to where the horses are waiting just beyond the trees. You start walking with Levi next to you, but you're too shaken to strike up a conversation.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Levi questions in a low voice.

"Yeah," you murmur. "It's just... in four years, that was the closest I came to dying."

"I'm going to kill that Shitty-Glasses myself," he growls.

You do the standard coping mechanism and think about happier times. You're glad you're alive still and you're with Levi. It's the best place you can be.

You grin and breathe the forest air deeply. "I'm okay. It was just a slip up."

"You-" Levi stops himself. "Why do you see your life as insignificant whenever it's endangered more than usual?"

You don't meet his gaze and continue forward where the edge of the woods is with the two squads waiting.

"I guess when you value others' lives more than your own, you lose your self-importance and you're willing to welcome death easier in the end."

"Don't say such idiotic things," Levi scowls. "You must also lose any regard for the feelings of the people who care for you and don't want to see you become titan chow."

"I'm sorry," you mumble, knowing what he means with his harsh words.

"Don't be. Let's just get back to the wall. I'm fed up with this expedition after Hanji's stupid decision."

You make it to the clearing and mount your horses once more and ride back to the wall in absolute silence. No one dared to open their mouths after seeing their captain so angered and possibly able to snap at any moment.

It's only when you get back to the horse stables that Hanji apologizes, apparently coming down from the scientific spell she was under with the titan. You accept it and let it be water under the bridge although you know someone else won't be letting it go for a while.