Chapter 21: Workload

Taking over the position as the Special Ops Squad Leader means two things. 1.) The annoying attention you don't want and 2.) A ton of paperwork. Levi demanded you let him do his own paperwork because it's all he can do, but you pointed out that he shouldn't be doing anything that can stress him out.

To say he was mad is putting it lightly.

It looks like being on forced injury recovery with absolutely nothing to do is getting to him. It's pretty damn clear that's the case as he stiffly lounges on the couch in his office with his foot resting on a pillow while you do his--now your--paperwork at his desk. Levi continues to glower at you from his spot, but you're too engrossed in your work to notice, which only pisses him off more.

"Assessments of Precision in Tyrannical Domains?" you read incredulously. "What the fuck, Erwin? Why can't he just ask how each soldier performed in a stressful environment?"

"Now you know the shit I deal with," Levi mutters, sipping his tea.

Four days you've been undoubtedly buried in work and now you know why Levi only sleeps on average three hours a day. You knew his job was hard, but you didn't know he had to extensively detail every expedition and mission including evaluations on each cadet.

You scribble down the details of the recent mission plan in the distant district as well even though Erwin should know about it since he was at the meeting, but he might have to give it to the other branches.

You mark the cadets' evaluations and write down the statuses of each soldier individually with some you can't even remember. You sigh frustratingly and rub your stiff neck that has gotten impossibly sore from its constant position.

Meanwhile, Levi is trying to do subtle gestures and actions to get some sort of reaction out of you, even going as far as throwing a crumpled piece of paper at you that you simply grabbed and tossed in the trashcan.

Is this what I'm fucking like? he can't help but wonder.

He thinks back to the times you would hangout in his office while he did his work and if you ever tried to get his attention, if he was too engrossed in his work to notice. Had you ever tried to flirt with him? Did you try to show your affections before but he was too busy to notice? These thoughts plague him.

"Damn, I'm out of tea," Levi mutters absentmindedly, setting down the empty cup.

Your head snaps up at that because you know Levi's tea is one of the only things that keep him relaxed and the last thing you want is for him to be in discomfort. You put down your pen and get up to quickly walk around Levi's desk.

"I'll get you more," you say, not making eye-contact as you bend down to pick up the tray.

"What? No, it's fine," Levi replies hastily.

He wanted to get your attention, not produce more work for you to do. This just makes him feel guilty and now you won't even be in his sights.

"No, it will only take a minute," you say, leaving the room and making your way to the kitchen.

"Shit," Levi curses, pinching the bridge of his nose.

Almost as soon as you rushed off, Hanji decided to barge into the room with a stack of papers.

"Hey, Shorty, where's (Y/N)?" she asks.

"Why the hell do you want to know?" Levi questions in a humdrum tone.

"I was going to ask if she could do these papers for me because I have experiments-"

"No, absolutely not," Levi hisses. "She is buried in my paperwork as it is and you need to do your own damn work."

"But I know she'll be okay with it," Hanji whines. "And if you're so worried, why don't you do your own?"

"Because she won't let me," he complains. "I'm not going to let you tire her out more."

"Because you're doing enough of that, right?" Hanji winks. "Looks like the shoe is on the other foot with this one. I can't tell you how many times (Y/N) came to my office infuriated by your never taking a break."

Levi groans and wishes he could punch that knowing look off his colleague's face.

"Just leave before she gets back. I know she won't hesitate to accept your dumbass excuse and take on the extra work," Levi orders.

"Okay, okay, I get it. You're possessive and feeling neglected," Hanji says with a chuckle. "Bye."

Hanji exits before Levi can defend himself. You reenter only a few seconds later with the hot Black Tea and gently set it on the table, pouring Levi's cup and immediately going back to his desk to resume the paperwork.

Levi grits his teeth as he stares after you. It's like he doesn't exist unless he needs something, and after so many years of devoted friendship and attention, he's feeling an odd emotional mixture of anger and longing. Your romantic relationship didn't evolve until very recently and Levi's already drowing under the loss of your lips.

I am so fucking screwed. She's too good, Levi thinks, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"Are you okay? When did you change your clothes?" you inquire, only glancing up briefly as you noticed his movement.

"Really?" Levi says incredulously, looking down at his black pants and grey shirt instead of his uniform. "I've been wearing this all day!"

"Oh."

You go back to the papers and Levi isn't going to pretend to be in pain even though it's a sure way to get your undivided attention. He knows he has to be unlike himself and practically beg.

"(Y/N)," Levi grunts feebly. "Can you take a break?"

"No."

"Please?" he tries again with monumental irritation.

"No."

Levi contains what little control on his temper he has because he feels utterly useless and a burden, but he ultimately wishes you would take a damn moment to eat or sleep or give him a chance to see your (E/C) eyes once today.

Levi cannot believe he is about to do this, but you have left him no other choice.

"(Y/N), Babe," he says softly in his deep voice and smirks when seeing you freeze. "Can you come over here and grace me with a kiss?"

You keep your head down looking at the papers with the pen in your loose grip, then you unexpectedly burst out laughing.

"What the fuck was that, Levi?" you stifle out. "Who the hell talks like that?"

"I do when I want you to pay attention to me!" he blurts.

Your giggles calm down enough for you to get to your feet and round the desk with your arms crossed.

"Aw, is the strongest soldier feeling neglected?" you tease.

Levi grumbles unintelligible murmurs under his breath.

"What?" you ask.

"Yes. You haven't so much as spared me a glance in four days and it's tearing me apart."

You internally coo at Levi and feel your heart flutter at his honest words. Walking over, you bend down and put a hand on the nape of his neck before laying your mouth against his and sensually moving your lips. Levi reaches his hands up to hold your cheeks while assaulting his favorite part of your body without moving his left leg because you'll be mad if he hurts himself and the mood will be ruined.

"You can sit on my lap as I work if you want," you joke, leaving only an inch of space between your faces.

"You're ruining the moment," he replies, pulling your face back to his.

You have a decently heated make out session before standing up straight and nonchalantly going back to work, but not before pointing something out with a smile.

"Hanji was right."