Chapter 27: Hidden Memories

After the ordeal, you end up in Hanji's office with Levi and Erwin watching as she checks you for injuries. Also, you have to relay details of the incident to your superiors and the pretenses of getting Mike's gear to escape to safety.

"I told you, I'm fine. I'm just tired and sore from so much exercise," you insist.

Hanji lays a bandage on the palm of your hand after putting some gooey substance on your scrapes.
"It appears you're right. You're a lot stronger than we thought you were, (Y/N). Honestly, we didn't think you would make it out alive," Hanji reveals calmly.

"For a while, I didn't think so either," you reveal. "It was a different experience being out there in the wilderness on my own without backup, but I knew if I kept pushing myself I could get back."

"You didn't see any titans on your way back, you say?" Erwin inquires.

"None at all. I didn't sense any around, either. It seems that Levi and I took the remaining titans out that were in the area," you answer tiredly.

Levi stands with his arms crossed and doesn't comment on anything. You know he wants to get you alone to talk and for you both to get out of your filthy clothes.

"We're sorry for leaving, but we had no other choice. Captain ordered a retreat, then I had to order him to follow through. We couldn't leave him behind even though he wanted to wait for you," Hanji apologizes.

"It's okay. I'm alive and unharmed," you respond, rising to your feet.

You walk over to the door that Levi opened and he follows you out with Erwin as well before Erwin shuts the door.

"I'm proud of you both," Erwin states. "You should take a day off together. Go in the city on a date or something. That's an order."

You and Levi share a look and you let out an exasperated sigh.

"Yes, Sir," you mumble.

Levi puts a hand on your lower back and you walk to his office together. You let out a yawn and ignore his concerned eyes on your form as you enter his office then his bedroom. You feel him pull you into a hug, which you immediately return.

"I told you I'd come back," you say.

"I can't always go off of a few words," he replies, pulling away to kiss you gently on the lips. "Go shower. You're covered in blood."

"Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious," you sarcastically shoot back with intentions of lightening up the tension.

You walk over to the closet and grab a set of your clothes that Levi demanded long ago that you have in his personal quarters. You then head into the bathrooom to shower away the remnants of the horrid day.

After about fifteen minutes, you step out with a refreshed body and mind. You towel-dry your hair before lazily changing into comfortable clothing and exiting the bathroom. You see Levi has discarded his shirt already since he can't stand being in dirty clothing for too long.

Your eyes admire his naked torso and Levi easily catches your wandering gaze. With an eye-roll, he passes you with his outfit of choice and goes into the bathroom. You grin and flop down on his bed with the content feeling of being back where you belong. You feel like you're home.

The shower had woken you up a bit, but you hope for a relaxing rest of the day and you're not sure what tomorrow will have in store, or even the future for that matter.

You learned some new things while being out in the forest by yourself and it's this: no matter how sheltered or imprisoned you feel yourself to be, there will always be surprising opportunities in life whether good or bad. The universe is far too vast to run out of new life experiences and destinations, and when you get to them, it's your choice whether to let it destroy you or strengthen you.

You sit on the edge of Levi's bed and something in his open closet catches your eye. You get up and stroll over to see what it could be. There's something on the higher shelf, so you stand on your toes to reach the object, but it's not what you expect--a rusted, old box of rare tea leaves. You're more confused because you know Levi keeps his collection in one of his dresser drawers, so why is this one hidden away?

You hadn't realized the shower stopped running and you hear the bathroom door open. You walk out of the closet with the box in your hand to see Levi drying his hair with the towel before folding it and setting it atop his dresser.

"Levi," you say, gaining his attention. "Why do you have this in your closet?"

Levi's eyes shift downward and a touch of sadness overcomes his features. He motions for you to sit on the bed as he does so himself and gently takes the box from your hands after you do.

"This is from right before I entered the Survey Corps with Isabel and Farlan. We went to this old pub and the owner challenged me to an arm wrestling match, saying I could have whatever I wanted if I won. Of course, I did and took our free meals along with this box for my collection. It's one of the only things I brought here," he murmurs.

You hear the longing and regretful tone of his voice, so you put your arm around him and lay your head on his shoulder.

"I know you blame yourself for their deaths," you whisper. "It wasn't your fault."

"It's because of my decision. My arrogance and pride made me leave them behind because I was more focused on the mission than their safety," Levi mutters.

"You know they probably would've died if they went with you anyway--that's what Erwin told you."

"It doesn't help my guilt," he responds. "I miss them."

You pick your head up and turn Levi's head to face you.

"I miss them, too, but you can't let the guilt hold you down. They would hate for you to feel that way all the time. I don't blame you and I know they wouldn't either."

Levi nods and leans over to rest his lips against yours. You kiss back with the love you've wanted to display since leaving each other to fight the titans only hours ago--when you didn't know if next time would ever happen.

You bring Levi down on top of you on the mattress and run your hands through his wet strands of hair as he sets aside the box of tea leaves and puts his hands on your hips. The atmosphere soon gets heated and you know that whatever happens tonight or in the future will turn out to be a very thrilling adventure.