Chapter 25: Back To Business

The evening of the expedition, you're strolling to get Levi from his office after checking on the cadets who have been preparing the horses for departure. You knock thrice and walk into the polished room to see Levi closing a document and standing in front of his desk.

"Ready to go?" you ask.

Levi nods and strides over to do something unexpected--brings up his hand and lays it on your cheek, then gently touches his lips to your forehead for a lingering second. You close your eyes as the moment happens and he soon pulls away completely.

"Is something wrong?" you question with concern.

"Not at all," Levi replies.

Not entirely sure what to do, you accept his actions and words and walk out of the office with him by your side. You make it to the stables while going over the plans and how you hope the new squad will do on an actual expedition. You informed Levi on their teamwork during the mission and how you're sure they will only improve over time with your guidance as well as his.

"I don't feel too confidence about the success of this," Levi comments.

"It's for the sake of Hanji's research. We both agreed that further investment in knowing the enemy will always benefit us. It could play a huge factor in getting to Shiganshina," you reply.

"We're already heading in the right direction now that Eren has his titan shifting controlled. We could be ready to launch another expedition within the month."

You sigh wistfully. "Just imagine, by this time next year, we might be free of the titans."

"(Y/N)," Levi warns, "don't start getting your hopes up."

You grin and glance in his direction as you reach the stables where Levi's, Hanji's and Mike's squads are preparing.

"I'm not, don't worry. It was just a thought," you say.

"Welcome back!" Hanji exclaims and appears in front of you and Levi. "I'm so excited for this. Thank you for signing off on it, Levi."

"Whatever," Levi responds.

"Let's get going!" Mike commands from the top of his horse.

You do a mental count and attendance to make sure all the soldiers have arrived. You direct them into their formations with Levi and Hanji before getting on your own horses and taking your spot at the front of the group with Levi.

"We'll be heading into the forest. The whole objective of this mission is for Squad Leader Hanji to gather samples for her experiments, so make sure to cover her," Levi instructs.

"Yes, Sir!" the soldiers chorus.

✱✱✱

The weather is getting colder, you can tell, as the crisp air hits your face during the ride. The leaves are starting to fall from the trees and sky is getting cloudier as they race pass your vision. You see the forest in the distance and you know you're going to be dismounting any minute. There have been no titan sightings as of yet and you're worried they're all amidst the trees, waiting for the squads somehow.

"Now!" Levi calls.

The three squads circle around and slow to get off the saddles before darting into the positions assigned to cover Hanji and her squad as they all will be helping their leader. The whole expedition is a risk, but the outcome of the research can be substantially beneficial to humanity.

You make it to your post deepest in the woods where Levi springs up on the branch across from you (about six meters away). You're at least fifty meters from the ground, so you're not worried that a titan will jump up out of nowhere.