Chapter 3: 104th Trainees

"We're still competing tonight regardless of yesterday, unless you're too scared of getting beat," you say.

"Whatever. It won't make a difference once I crush you in the course," Levi replies cockily.

You're on your way to show the newbies how to handle their blades and of course Levi decided to tag along anyway. Where you go, he goes and vice-versa, even if you don't realize it, though he claimed he wanted to see if anyone was worthy of recruiting for his Special Ops Squad.

"Sure, but don't distract these students with your oh-so amazing title. I don't want someone accidentally getting stabbed," you assert.

Levi rolls his eyes and you enter the grounds where you see Keith has made the cadets line up with their blades at the ready. You see them react when spotting Levi, as usual, but you're in full business mode at this time. You stand in front of the group with Levi several feet behind you.

"My name is (Y/N) (L/N) and I'll be teaching you how to properly use your swords as I've been informed that most of you completely suck at it," you announce, your voice booming through the area. "I'm sure you're aware that Corporal, or Captain, Levi of the Survey Corps has decided to attend this lesson to see if any of you who are interested in the Corps are worthy yet.

"That being said-" you take your blades out and hold them up while walking up and down the rows "-this is the proper way to hold the swords. If you can't get this much right, just quit now. One by one, you will slash a titan dummy and you'll be evaluated on every move you make."

You step back as Keith takes the lead and directs them to the patch of woods where everything is set in place. You walk ahead and step to the edge in the line of sight so everyone will be able to see your moves.

"Go!" Keith shouts.

You get into combat-mode and take off through the trees with your gear. The wind is whipping your hair back and you keep your sharp eyes out for any movement. When the cardboard titan emerges, you do a spin for momentum and bring down one blade to slice the bottom nape of its fake neck and the other blade for the top part.

You swing around to head back and put your blades back in their compartments as you wait for Keith to tell you how you did.

"That is exactly how it should be done, Cadets," Keith says in that gruff voice of his.

"Please. That was a seven-out-of-ten at best," Levi remarks snidely.

The cadets don't know how to react but you see some of their excited faces while others are even more nervous since your maneuvers were incredibly flawless.

"Is that so, Corporal?" you ask, stepping up to him. "You're more than welcome to try to top me, Sir."

Levi takes out his swords and approaches the edge of the tree line. "I don't have to try."

Levi takes off and does his fluent and unnecessary movements through the trees. When the titans appears, he switches his hands so the blades point behind him and he twists around and swiftly slices through the cardboard cutout's neck. And since he's Captain Levi and had to show off, the cadets applaud him in awe.

It actually causes you to be genuinely annoyed with his actions. He always has to top you and be the best, then he gets defensive when you're better at something. You, not being in the mood to listen to the cadets talk about how amazing Captain Levi is, leave the training grounds that instant.

You doubt Levi notices or he's not interested in following you as you're able to make it to Hanji's office without hearing the slightest hint of footsteps running after you. You're over the incident of yesterday and want your friend to hangout with.

"Hey, Hanji," you greet, walking into her office to see her back turned to you and her eyes glued to some documents.

"Hey, (Y/N). Hey, Lev-" she stops herself when she turns and sees you're not with him. "Is Levi on his way?"

"Why would you assume that?" you question, walking over and lounging on the red sofa with your feet on the cushions.

"Well, you're literally always together. Others may not notice, but nothing gets passed me," Hanji claims.

"We're not always together."

"Yes, you are. This is honestly the first time in six years I've seen you without each other. That's not healthy unless you guys are dat-"

"We're not!" you interrupt. "I promise there is none of that. We're just friends."

"Friends who spend enough time together to be mistaken for Siamese twins," she retorts.

"Why did I come here?" you groan to yourself.

"To get away from Levi is the only option. Obviously something happened since you're always-"

"Shut up, Hanji," you say.

"What did he do?" she inquires, taking out a notepad and pencil.

"Doing that stupid show off shit he likes. He knows it annoys me and he goes and does it in front of the cadets. He's already the great Levi Ackerman and he can't let me have one moment!" you yell and drop your arm over your eyes.

"He's probably showing off for you, My Friend."

"We are not together, and if I have to say it again, I'll cut your tongue out," you threaten.

"You act like him, too," Hanji replies cheerfully.

You get off the couch and head to the door, having enough of her presence for the day. You're not mentally equip for more than ten minutes of Hanji a day, but you hate whenever you're away from Levi even on the off occasions you get mad at him. He is your best friend, after all.

You decide to look for him again because instead of being petty about his popularity, you're going to plan out ways to destroy him in the little competition tonight to show him you can be better without him being able to oppose.