Epilogue

One Year Later

It's unimaginable the events that can transpire in a year. The amount of deaths and monumental achievements is hard to think about after so many years of being enslaved by titans. But now, there's no more worry of that thanks to Eren's dad's documents and Eren's contribution.

Many soldiers have been lost along the way with the numbers the lowest they've ever been, but the Survey Corps are no more, so there's no reason to worry. The hard work and sacrifices you all have endured for years is finally at rest and peace is spread across the earth.

The ocean--the place Armin talked about and left many to fantasize in their imaginations is just ahead of your carriages. It brings happiness and tears to many as you experience the first real taste of freedom.

You discard your shoes when you hit the sand and let it sink between your toes as you overlook the water. The former Special Operations Squad run toward the ocean with joy inflaming their hearts and smiles gracing their faces.

You feel your hand being grabbed and intertwined with another. You look over at the upturned head of Levi, who has his eyes closed and is inhaling the fresh air with his hair swaying in the breeze. You see Erwin appear on his other side and Hanji arrive on yours.

"Freedom... It's better than any of us could have imagined," Hanji says, basking in the sunshine.

"The years we worked for this... The only thing that could make it better would be for all of our fallen comrades to be here with us," Erwin comments.

"They are," you respond. "No one is ever truly gone as long as you hold them in your heart."

"Well said," Erwin replies.

You smile and watch as Erwin and Hanji skip off toward the water where the young former soldiers are splashing about in their now soaked clothing.

"I'm glad they could have the opportunity to be kids," you hear Levi mumble on your side.

"Me too," you whisper. "Their futures are bright in the free world. I'm sure they will do amazing things."

"So will we," he replies, glancing over to you. "That tea shop idea is still on the table, right?"

"Anything you want to do, Levi. I'll follow you anywhere. To the ends of the earth if I have to."

"I love you," he says.

You gaze into those pale blue eyes that you can now compare to the tides of the ocean with such compassion swimming in their depths.

"I love you, too."

Levi pivots and you turn to face him as well. The distant yelling and playfulness of the others is drowned out by the raw emotion electrifying between your bodies in this moment. You've never felt such a weight lifted from your shoulders and you know Levi feels the same. For the very first time, you both can fully relax.

"Listen, I'm not good at this shit," Levi admits, "but thank you. I don't know how I would have gotten through the stuff I did without you and I hope I helped you too even though I can be an asshole. Truth is, I would be dead if you weren't next to me all these years. With that--"

Levi pauses and slowly drops down to one knee in the sand while reaching into his pocket to pull out a black box that, after he opens, reveals a band. Your eyes widen and mouth is slightly agape, but you can still faintly hear the hollering and shocked screams of your friends.

"--I would like to make you my wife. You've been by my side for seven years and it only seems right to keep you there forever. Will you marry me?"

You nod your head vigorously as your voice doesn't seem to work and put out your hand for Levi to slip the band onto. He stands and you engulf him in a hug with all your strength and smother him with kisses all over his face that he begrudgingly accepts.

"How fucking long have you guys been together!?" Hanji exclaims.

You now notice that all your friends have gathered back on the sand to berate you and Levi with questions. It seems you two kept your relationship a secret for so long without actually meaning to.

"Almost a year and a half, I guess," you answer.

"What!?" everyone choruses simultaneously.

"We're always together, how the hell didn't you put it together?" Levi teases with a smirk.

"Wow, now you choose to put down the tough-guy act? That would have been nice, say, throughout our entire service?" Jean says sarcastically.

"Watch it, Jean. We may not be in the Scouts anymore, but Levi can kick your ass easily," Eren warns slyly.

"You think you can take me!?" Jean challenges with fists clenched.

"Bring it on!" Eren shouts.

You watch as they run off with Mikasa and Armin following after them, then Connie and Sasha decide to go back to swimming. Erwin and Hanji stand in front of you with their arms crossed.

"For the record, I've known ever since you started dating," Erwin claims.

"Is that so?" you question.

"Yeah, I've waited to see Levi happy for years. You think I wouldn't notice when it actually happened?"

"Thanks, Erwin," Levi says.

"Anytime," Erwin responds. "Let's go Hanji. These two have some celebrating to do."

"Hehehehe, of course." Hanji laughs and pats Levi on the shoulder before following Erwin off to wherever.

You take another look at Levi before your hands are tangled again and you begin strolling across the beach, both of you barefoot. You get farther away from the group and lean against Levi as you openly discuss the future that you'll have together. Daydreaming doesn't need to be suppressed anymore now that you have the entire world to explore and figure out what you want to do.

Within those walls, you never thought you would get a glimpse of what true freedom was, but now that you're here with the people you hold closest, you know you will not have to confine yourself to darkness and despair.

This world with Levi is something completely new and unexplored with tresses of unknown terrain waiting to be experienced. Your adventure is not ending, it's only just beginning with every step you take toward a new and brighter future with the love of your life, Levi Ackerman, right by your side.