Chapter 11: Squad Meeting

Night dawns upon the world and the Special Ops Squad has gathered in one of the only rooms with a sturdy table. You decided after everyone's hard work, they could use a cup of tea and you poured some for the whole team. You sit on Levi's left as the little meeting commences.

"It's safe to assume our standing orders will stretch into next week. Word through the grape vine is we're gearing up for a big mission a month from now. A bunch of rookie graduates are slated to be our main backup," Eld says.

"That can't be right," Gunther replies. "Why do something like that? The cadets have been through enough in the last titan attack, why subject them to that kind of danger again?"

"You have to wonder how many of those runts peed themselves," Oluo chimes in, taking a swig of tea.

You notice he's sitting literally exactly the same way as Levi and you wish you could say something, but you know Levi will be pissed. That's not something you want right now.

"Surely this can't be the case," Petra responds, looking at Levi for approval.

"Mission planning isn't my responsibility, but it is Erwin's, and you can bet the man's obsessed over every angle," Levi says.

"That's the truth, especially given how unique the situation is," Eld agrees. "Consider how many people died on the path to retake Wall Maria, then hope comes in a form no one expected--one we're not entirely sure how to deal with."

Everyone's attention shifts to Eren and he looks taken aback.

"Most of us find it hard to believe. So how does it work--this whole changing into a titan trick?" Eld inquires.

"You can't expect him to answer that," you finally impose. "He hasn't even had a chance to truly work out his abilities on his own."

"She's right," Eren confirms. "I wish I could tell you, but the fact of the matter is that my memory is not clear, guess it's kind of like being in a trance. But I do know the trigger seems to be hurting myself in some way, like biting my hand."

"You're not going to get anything out of him, apart from what the scribblers have laid out in the reports," Levi educates. "Not that you-know-who won't have a go at it. You'll be lucky to come out of it alive if that one lays into you. 'Course it's only a matter of time."

Levi picks up his tea cup with his hand around the brim and takes a sip. You know he holds it this way because he's afraid of breaking it, but it never fails to amuse you the way he's so careful.

"Who are you talking about!?" Eren asks with fever.

Out of nowhere, a banging is heard on the door behind Levi and a yelp rings in the corridor. Petra stands and hurries to the door to lift the piece of wood so Hanji can barge into the room.

"So sorry," Hanji mutters before peeking up. "Good evening, Team Levi! How is castle-life treating everyone?"

"You're too early," Levi says.

"Am I?" Hanji asks innocently and begins strolling over to Eren. "I suppose I couldn't help myself."

"Squad Leader Hanji?" Eren utters.

"Hello, Eren," Hanji greets. "In the event you haven't pieced it together yet, it's my job to spearhead the Survey Corps research efforts. Essentially, I poke and prod our captive titan specimens. I'd very much like your help."

"My help? In what way? Like, what would I have to do?" Eren questions.

By this time, you know what's about to happen, so you finish your cup of tea, and with cautious, start sliding your chair out from the table.