Chapter 8: Court

You stand with your arms crossed next to Levi and a member of The Garrison on your other side. On your way in, you spotted the girl you remember to be Mikasa and the genius kid you learned is Armin. The tension is high as the room waits for Eren Jaeger to arrive.

Suddenly, the doors burst open and a baffled Eren is dragged into the room by two guards. You deduce that Hanji babbled on the way and didn't get a single word in about the contents of the trial. Eren is pushed to the ground and the guards latch his cuffs to the pole in the middle of the room so he's forced to remain on his knees the whole time.

You watch as Dhalis Zachary enters to take the seat of the judge and begins relaying to everyone why you're here in the first place. It's silent as he reads out what boths sides of opposing brigades will be offering between the Military Police or the Scout Regiment. First up is the Military Police to convey their viewpoint of the matter.

You shift your vision to the pitiful man and commander of the Military Police who you can't believe is proud of his job title.

"Thank you," he says to Dhalis. "My name is Nile Dok, I'm the commander of the Military Police. Our recommendation concerning the future of Eren Jaeger is that we believe it's in the best interest that he is disposed of immediately.

"We acknowledge his ability played a part in taking back the latest titan incursion, however, as been stated, his mere existence is creating a swell of rebellious sentiment. For the greater good, after gathering all the information we can from him, we would see him made a fallen warrior of humanity."

"Now I would like to hear the Scout Regiment's proposed plan," Dhalis says, turning his attention toward your direction after scribbling something on his papers.

"Yes, Sir," Erwin says. "As commander of the Survey Corps, I, Erwin Smith, propose the following: let Eren join our ranks. Reinstate him as a full member of the Scouts and we will utilize his titan ability to retake Wall Maria. That is all."

"Is that it?" Dhalis asks unsurely.

Did he not just say that? you remark to yourself.

"Yes," Erwin answers. "With his assistance, Sir, I'm certain we can reclaim Wall Maria, ergo, I believe our top priority is clear."

"Quite bold. Assuming you were given clearance, where do you plan to launch this operation from?" Dhalis turns his direction to someone else. "Commander Pixis, the wall in the Trost District has been completely sealed, is that correct?"

"Yes. I doubt its gate will ever open again," Pixis replies.

Erwin explains his flawless plan of attack as you and Levi keep your eyes peeled for any suspicious activity. One of the Wall Sina residents suddenly blurts out and hits his hands on the wooden rail.

"Our money would be better spent sealing up all the gates! They're the only parts of the wall that the Colossal Titan can break, right? Let's reinforce the blasted things and wash our hands of the entire affair!" he shouts

This causes men left and right yelling at each other about their idiotic money and pride. You know you're about fed up with it and you're glad Levi finally decides to step in.

"Squealing louder won't help your case, Pig," Levi says coldly to the man across from him on the other side of Eren. "While we're bolstering our defences, do you think the titans will stand idly by? When you say we can't afford, do you speak for anyone other than your fat merchant friends? Do you pigs even realize most of our people are struggling just to survive on what little land we have left?"

"I'm just saying, sealing the gates is the only guaranteed protection we got!" the man defends.

One of the members of the Wall Cult starts going on a tirade and they engage in an argument that's only interrupted by Dhalis. Dhalis redirects Eren and asks him about his loyalties with Eren promising to control his abilities.

"On this report from the Battle of Frost contradicts that statement. Just after transforming, it seems you made an attempt to crush Mikasa Ackerman. And who is this Mikasa Ackerman?" Dhalis inquires.

"Me."

You look down only four people to see the girl with inky black hair and a deathly pair of eyes. Dhalis asks about the truth behind the report and Mikasa ends up telling the truth, much to Eren's dismay that he hurt someone so close to him. She then defends him that he protected her, but to no one's surprise, Nile retaliates and uses their pasts against them.

You're not shaken by the revelation of their childhood as it's barely the worst thing you've heard or even seen a kid do. The court soon is full of hushed whispers and accusations fly about Mikasa being a titan with Eren defending her. Quite frankly, it's all becoming a giant mess.

"Stop it!" Eren shouts, banging his cuffs against the pole. He goes on a well-spoken speech about how cowardly the Military Police is and the rest of the merchants and how they should put their trust in him alone.

"Take aim, dammit!" Nile directs and his guy flicks up his gun, pointing it at Eren.

You see Levi hop over the railing and preparing to do something you know he's not completely okay with doing, especially to a runt like Eren. Levi swings his legs right around and decks Eren right in the jaw hard enough to knock his tooth out. You cringe a little as he kicks Eren like a rag doll with every person in the room left dumbfounded. Blood is splattered on the floor and Levi doesn't seem to be taking it easy at all.

You see the harsh movement of Mikasa and put a hand on the railing and reflexively on the switchblade you keep in your pocket. You're prepared to defend Levi in the same way she's prepared to defend Eren, but the difference is that Levi doesn't need your help as much.

You're glad when Armin pulls her back because you know even with how good she is, you can take her down. You move back to your original position with your arms crossed and eyes on the scene playing out. You almost want to jump in and stop Levi yourself with the brutality he's inflicting.

"You know, personally, I believe nothing instills discipline like pain. You don't need a good talking to, what you're in need of, Boy, is to be taught a lesson. And you happen to be in perfect kicking position," Levi says, continuing his assault.

"N-now hold on, Levi," Nile stutters and you're angered at his lack of respect, even to a subordinate.

"What is it?" Levi drawls, removing his foot from Eren's face.

"It's dangerous," Nile says. "What if he gets angry and turns into a titan?"

Levi kicks Eren again for good measure. "Don't be stupid. After all, you guys just want to dissect him, don't you? During the time he was transformed, they say that Jaeger killed twenty titans before he ran out of strength. As an enemy, his intelligence makes him all the more dangerous, but I can still take him down without a problem. How many of you can say the same? Before you torment the beast, you better think, can you actually kill him?"

Erwin raises his hand. "Sir, I have a proposition. There's still too much we don't know, and no doubt this danger will be ever present, as such, I suggest this: Eren Jaeger be placed under Captain Levi's supervision and we'll conduct a recon mission on the outside of the wall."

"Jaeger will join you in this excursion?" Dhalis asks.

"Yes, Sir, and you can look upon the mission's results yourself. If he succefully controls his ability, Eren will have proven his value to mankind," Erwin confirms.

"Eren Jaeger will be closely supervised? And if he should lose control?"

"I can definitely kill him if it comes to that. The only downside is, there's absolutely no middle ground," Levi states confidently. You see his eyes shift to Mikasa and Armin, probably wondering if she'll try to attack him.

"Then I have made my choice," Dhalis announces. "Eren Jaeger is to be placed in the custody of the Scout Regiment."

You breathe a sigh of relief as the not too happy people erupt into fury. You're undoubtedly ready to get back to your district and away from Wall Sina altogether.