It's Moments Like These ::31::

***Well............... the weather has ruined my plans for the evening, so I figured in the event of something bad, a good opportunity comes! Congratulations folks, you will be granted one chapter before winter break even begins! How exciting- for you. I've come up with a goal- five chapters must be written and published before I return to school in January. Perhaps if I find myself having no life, I can get to ten! I even have this crazy dream that I will finish the series before then- but I seriously doubt that will happen. I would have to post 2 or 3 chapters per day, and writing just ONE takes me a good two hours.... so we'll see. But 5 for SURE! Enjoy :) xoxox***

There was a comfortable silence amongst them, something that had not happened in well over a month. Ever since the Yule Ball, the night after, and the night after that... both had become increasingly tense around the other. That had all changed after their talk, however. They had both gotten back to that relationship beyond a student and teacher, but not great enough for friendship. They were comfortable, and that was all that mattered.

“Did anything interesting happen to you today?” he questioned as his hand flew across the first year exams he was marking. Their relationship may have resumed normally, but the conversation had become a bit less than mundane. She had not turned the page in her book for over thirty minutes, unable to concentrate on such unimportant words.

“Well... detention was quite a riot.” she said dryly, but with a tone of sarcasm. He picked up on it instantly, raising an eyebrow as he glanced up at her. She looked at him from the chair in which she was seated, half-cracking a smile. He was slightly amused by this remark, but not enough to actually laugh about it.

“Yes,” she continued, “Filch would not stop gabbing about the latest professor gossip. You should hear the way he talks about McGonnagall. I think he fancies her.” she was at a full grin now, staring down at the small black print of her novel, still unable to concentrate on the story. Severus was now beginning to laugh at the idea. Argus Filch fancying anybody was a joke within itself. She giggled quietly when she noticed him smiling at his desk as well.

“Although, I am quite afraid she is a bit out of his league.” she laughed, noticing a sudden change in her professor's posture. She knitted her eyebrows together when she saw the troubled look on his face, although he kept his eyes down at the papers.

“Argus Filch is not the only man to fancy a woman he cannot have.” he cleared his throat, unable to muster the courage to look up at her. She looked at the ground.

“Yes...” she mused, taking in a slow and deep breath. There was now another hiatus in their conversation. There were so many things the other wanted to say, but neither of them could think of the right words to say them. Several times Lennox found herself opening her mouth as if to speak, but suddenly closing it as if her next words were going to come out wrong. Although their relationship had gone back to normal, it was still strained in different ways. The fact that they were both tortured with the idea of coexisting with but without eachother was silently driving them mad.

“Have you heard the latest news around the school? Well, I am not quite sure if the students have started this rumor, but it sure has the staff in a wad.” he changed the subject to something completely irrelevant to their love lives.

“I have heard no rumors... but then again, I do not associate myself with rumor-spreading people.” she explained. This made sense to him, so he gave a brief nod in her direction.

“Right... well it seems as though a Polar Bear has been spotted swimming around the Black Lake.” he almost laughed at the thought. It was utterly ridiculous, the thought of a creature that lived so far north being in England of all places.