22

"Careful," Claire was helping me walk downstairs, heading to Elliot's car. She wrapped her arm around my waist while mine was hanging on her shoulder.

"Got it?" Elliot closed the driver's door then walked over us. "Here," He handed out his hand to help me.

"I got it." Claire bitterly spat. Elliot just lightly nodded and pressed his lips together.

"I'll open the door for her,"

Claire's eyes followed his movement then sighed loudly. She hated him—no, scratch that; she despised him very much.

I slowly slid inside the car, holding the pain then soon, Elliot slammed the door for me. I looked over the window; Claire held his arm and talk about something to him. I could see it very well; she was threatening him or something. I could see it clearly from her stern expression.

Elliot on the other hand, he just nodded not showing and disapproval or self-defense. Then Claire let his arm go and he walked around the car. Claire walked towards my window then knocked the window faintly with her knuckles.

I pressed the button and the window rolled down, "Sure, you're okay?" She asked, concern washed over her beautiful yet tired face.

"Honey, I'm fine. You should be more worry about your baby," I smiled. "Don't worry, I'll be fine,"

She nodded and took my hand to planted soft kiss on the back of my hand. "Call me whenever you need help and I'll be there," She forced a smile to cover up her heartache. "I love you, Chanti,"

I held back my tears, hating the idea of crying in front of other people. "I love you too, Claire,"

***

I was afraid to look let alone talk to Elliot. I just stared down at my unpainted nails, fidgeting. My right eye was still severely swollen and bruised, so I couldn't see clearly.

"We can make it through this, love," Elliot's cracked voice broke the silence. I instantly looked up to meet his beautiful side-face features.

"Elliot, I'm not pregnant," I dropped the major truth. He furrowed his brows and quickly pulled over on the side of the road. "It wasn't mine,"

I stared at him while he grasped the steering wheel really tight until his knuckles turned white. "Babe—" He sighed and leaned his forehead on his knuckles.

"I know things are not quite right for us to have a baby now. I'm not that stupid," I chuckled humorlessly. "That's fine, I'm alright,"

"You're fucking not, goddamn it!" He yelled while hitting the steering wheel. I flinched away, scared of him. I curled up on the seat, hugging myself with my arms. "You're not fine, we're not," He shook his head.

"Elliot," I put my shaky hand on his shoulder. "I love you," I whispered. "I don't care about anything else, I just love you so much. Even if you didn't love me as much as I love you, I'd stay anyway,"

He expectantly held both of my hands with tears streaming down his face. I hate seeing him like this, "Chantel, I love you just as much as you love me, maybe even more. If I didn't love you, then why did I ask you to be my wife and be here with me forever?" He blinked and another tears slipped away.

"I know, I'm sorry—"

"No, no listen to me," He cut me off. "It's not that I don't wanna have kids with you, it's not you it's me. I know you want to have kids so bad but I can't be a father right now, I'm a fucking alcoholic—an abusive alcoholic," He scoffed. "But maybe we can try it in the future," He kissed my knuckles.

"We don't have to, honey. If you don't want to have a baby, that's fine," As usual, I put him on top of everything.

"Really?" I hesitantly nodded.

I had mentioned about sacrificing things for him, hadn't I?