37

"Girls," Ryan managed to answered the girls' question while my lips were sealed tightly, "This is Elliot,"

Both Amara and Yaz kept fisting the bottom part of my dress; confused and slightly scared, "Hey girls," Elliot sniffled and crouched to be at the same height as the girls. "So glad to finally meet you,"

"Um, nice to meet you too," Yaz looked a little confused however Amara was completely silent and her expression was unreadable.

"Honey," I crouched next to Elliot and stroked Yaz's soft curls, "Why don't you wait inside with your sister, yeah? I'll be there in a minute," Then I stood up as both of them walked inside the house. "You," I stood up and he followed.

"Whoa, whoa Chanti, hold up," Ryan intervened, standing right between me and Elliot, "It's my fault. I gave him the idea to come with me and visit you--"

"I don't care, all I wanna know is what the fuck is he doing here?" I yelled-whispered, didn't want the girls to hear me.

"Okay, hello to you too, Chanti," He had this annoying but somehow still attractive smirk plastered on his pink and plump lips.

"Oh great, you still remember my name how magical," I sarcastically said, "Don't hello me, you asshole and answer me, what are you doing here?" I closed the front door and put down the groceries on the ground.

"Chantel, I've made you a promise," He threw his arms to his sides, "I've promised you that I'll be back, right? Now," He opened his arms, "I'm here,"

"Oh please," I scoffed, "You weren't even there when I needed you, Elliot," I pointed, pressing my finger on his—oh holy damn, his very strong-built and hard chest. "I don't need you. Just get over it and leave,"

"Chanti—" He walked closer, closing the space between us.

"Dude, no," Ryan held his chest, preventing him to get any closer. Thanks Ryan.

"No! No, I don't need you anymore!" Hesitation taken over my body. "Just go, Elliot," I shook my head. "Ryan please, make him leave, I beg you. Please,"

"I'm not going anywhere anymore, Chanti. I've done my business and now I'm back for you, for the girls,"

"You really think it's easy for me to just take you back into my life? After what you've done to me? After what you've done to the girls? Go to hell," I crossed my arms in front of my chest, "I don't need you anymore, my girls don't need you,"

"Jesus Christ, Chantel! They're my girls too!" He exclaimed in pure frustration, "Sure they need their dad!"

"Yours? Their dad?" I scoffed bitterly, "Okay then where were you when they were born, huh? Where were you when they took their first steps? Where were you on their first tooth? Where were you when they were sick and puking their guts out? Where were you when they used to cry at night because they want their dad to read them the bedtime story? Where were you when they didn't want me to feed them because they wanted their dad instead? Where were you when they were bullied because they don't know where their dad is?" By now, tears had completely spilled out and streamed down my cheeks. "And you still think you have the right to call yourself their dad?"

"Come on, El. This is not the right time," Ryan held Elliot's shoulder, ready to escorting him out of my porch.

"No! Ryan, just let me do this," He yanked his shoulder from Ryan's firm grip. He ran his hands over his now short hair—he probably shaved it couple months ago. "I know, I fucked up. I left you and the girls, didn't ring you or text you, didn't stop by to check on you and the girls, didn't visit you on the hospital when they were born, but that's because I was scared, Chanti. Fuck, I'm even still scared now,"