Chapter One- Shut up and kiss me, Parker.

** Picture of Cherry over there --> **

"Now, about where you go from here," the lawyer, who’s name I’d forgotten, started.

I stared back blankly, waiting for him top continue.

"In your parents’ will-" I winced at that word "- it is stated that they wished for your mother’s college roommate to have custody of you. She lives in Colorado. Social services have already cleared her, but they’ll want a quick statement from you to say you’re happy to move there."

I nodded, not really paying all too much attention.

He carried on spouting some legal froth, and told me a little about the woman, but I hardly listened until he said that he was just about finished.

I smiled and thanked him quietly, then silently left the office, hopping onto the nearest city bus.

I texted all of my friend’s about moving to Colorado, and was instantly bombarded with my ring tone, which sang Rihanna songs all the way home. I ignored them.

As I crossed the lobby of my Apartment block, a security guard made his way over, with a tall, blonde woman, in her forties, with tears streaks on her face in tow.

"Miss Cherry, this woman claims she’s your guardian," he said cautiously.

"I’m Jenna Lockhart," she told me. "You didn’t put me on a list so I could come and get you?"

"Sorry," I murmured. "I only just got back from the lawyer’s, he just told me."

"Oh, well, okay then."

"It’s alright John. She was my… Just, never mind. She’s good. She is my guardian," I stuttered.

"Oh, okay. I apologise for the misunderstanding Mrs Lockhart. Miss Cherry, is she American? Are you moving to America?"

"Yeah," I whispered.

"Aww, Kitten, things are gonna be so quiet around here without you and your…" He trailed off, biting his lip. "Sorry."

"It’s fine, really," I muttered.

"I’ll come and say goodbye in the morning, okay? Have a pleasant evening, ladies," he said, tipping his cap before sauntering away.

I raked a hand through my fringe, crossing my eyes to look at the fire-engine red hair in front of my face.

"Sweetie," Jenna said gently, placing a hand on my upper arm.

I blinked and shook my head.

"Shall we go upstairs? You look like you could us some coffee."

I shrugged and led her up to the penthouse. She clicked the kettle on and starting searching the cupboards. I strode past her to Dad’s liqueur cupboard. I tugged the door handle, but it must have been locked. I felt my eyebrows crinkle together: I had no idea where the damn key was. I shrugged and grabbed a knife from the block on the counter, and hacked at the glass with it.

I took a moment to smile at the shattered glass in triumph.

"Did you cut yourself?" Jenna asked quietly from across the kitchen.

I frowned slightly, glancing over my arms. Apart from the light scattering of scars left from a time I didn’t like to think about they seemed perfectly fine.

"No," I replied.

She nodded and silently went back to her cup of coffee.

I reached into the cabinet, carefully avoiding the glass left around the frame, and rummaged around for what I was looking for. I spotted the foreign label and yanked out the bottle of Russian vodka happily.