Chapter 1

Waiting in a doctors office was always nerve wracking, especially when it came to getting test results. It was a simple blood test, nothing could go wrong. Yet my heart was racing in my chest and I was almost positive it would burst. 

And that led me to squeezing the life out of Rydel's hand. 

"Dude, would you relax? You're breaking my hand." She ripped her hand out of my grasp, shaking it out. 

"How can I relax when I may be pregnant? How would you feel if you were in my position?" 

"Well for one, if I were in your position, that would mean I had sex with my brother." She shuddered. "Gross."

I glared at her, my eyes narrowing to slits. "Not funny. I can't be pregnant, Del. He's my best friend...I just can't be pregnant."

One drunken night. One stupid drunken night with my best friend since birth and I could be pregnant with his baby. I told myself that the puking in the morning was just a stomach bug, that my lack of appetite was the stress from work. But after being a month late with my period, I couldn't ignore it any longer. 

"He has his whole life ahead of him." I continued quietly. "Why would he want a baby to ruin that?  We're only twenty-five, and not once has he ever mentioned wanting kids."

"That doesn't mean he doesn't want them. Believe me, Ross wants kids." She gave my hand a reassuring squeeze. "If you are pregnant, you and Ross will be amazing parents. Trust me, Riley. You have nothing to be nervous about. Besides, you're not alone. You're parents will be happy about a grandchild."

My eyes widened. Shit, my parents. "I don't think they'll be happy that their grandchild was conceived over a few shots of vodka. They'll probably ring Ross' neck."

She scoffed. "Doubtful. Your parents love him."

"Yeah, I know." I grumbled, crossing my arms over my chest. Sometimes I thought my parents loved him more than me. 

The door creaked open a moment later and Dr. Emerson stepped in quietly, closing the door behind her. "Well, you're blood test came back," I gulped as she took a slight pause before continuing. "And I believe congratulations are in order. You're pregnant." She smiled, oblivious to my stunned face. 

"Are you sure?" I blurted out. 

She laughed softly. "I'm positive. You're almost four weeks along." She composed herself, her eyebrows slightly furrowing. It was obvious that she could tell I was shocked. "You do have options if this isn't what you want." 

Options? I knew what the options were, but no matter how shocked I was over this pregnancy, there was no way I could get rid of my baby. If Ross didn't want to be a part of his or her life, then that was okay. But I would never get rid of my baby, never. 

"No, no, I'm keeping it." I murmured, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. "I'm keeping it. 

~*~

Being told that I was pregnant was one thing, but figuring out a way to tell Ross was another. I tried to think of a way on the way home, but blurting it out just seemed to be the best one. I always thought I would do one of those cute announcement things when I found out I was pregnant, but I also planned to be married. That idea just didn't seem right in this situation. 

I tried to give myself a pep talk, not wanting to get my hopes up if Ross said he wanted nothing to do with the baby. I would understand if he did. We weren't a couple, he had a full-time job...I wasn't about to pressure him into raising it with me. 

Rydel dropped me off at my apartment, having been the one to drive us to the doctor. She invited herself in, obviously not wanting to leave me alone right now. She could basically read me like an open book, much like the rest of her family.