Chapter 15

I'm so sorry for the incredibly late update. Writer's block mixed with barely anytime to write absolutely sucks. Thank you to everyone who is sticking with me. I love you all. 

His cries woke us up for the fourth time that night, his wails bouncing off the walls in my room. I groaned, stuffing my face in the comfy pillow. Ross' heavy footsteps sounded, his bare feet hitting the hardwood floor. I willed my body to get out of bed and reach for my crying son, but I was exhausted. So, so exhausted. 

"I'll get him," Ross yawned. I unburied my face from the pillow, eyes glancing at the tired blonde as he stretched his limbs before reaching down in the crib for Tyler. His cries lessened but didn't die down as Ross held him close to his chest, his small, chubby cheek pressed against Ross' bare chest. 

A month had passed since Tyler was born, and our little monkey loved to wake up about five times a night. Ross and I were absolutely exhausted. We were pretty much walking zombies at this point, though Ross was able to get through the day with a few cups of coffee. 

My doctor had informed me that drinking a little bit of coffee everyday wouldn't affect my milk, but I wasn't about to risk it.  

Ross gently rocked Tyler back and forth, hoping the soothing motion would calm down our screaming boy. "Does he need a diaper change?" I asked, my voice groggy as I tried to keep my eyes open. 

He quickly tapped Tyler's little bottom, giving a quick shake of his head. "I think he's hungry. Want me to grab the bottle from the fridge?"

I shook my head, forcing myself to sit in an upright position. Ross looked away briefly as I got ready to breastfeed Tyler, though I had told him countless times he didn't need to. I wasn't embarrassed if he saw anything. Tyler's cries immediately stopped the moment he latched onto my breast, and I relished in the brief silence. 

Ross settled down beside me, his head drooping onto my shoulder. He let out a yawn. "This kid hates sleep. I think he actually despises it." 

I rested my head atop his, scrunching up my nose as his blonde locks tickled the tip. Glancing down at Tyler, I gently rubbed the back of my finger against his soft cheek. He was suckling away, and it was a feeling I still hadn't gotten used to. It was hard to describe, but the feeling was amazing. 

"Maybe we should take my parent's offer and let them babysit," Ross said, yawning in between words. "We can finally catch up on some sleep."

"I can't, Ross." The thought of leaving Tyler, even if it was only for a few hours, had my heart racing. I couldn't imagine leaving him right now. He was only one month old. "Just thinking about leaving him makes me want to cry." 

"Riles," he said slowly, as if preparing himself for what was about to come out of his mouth. "You cried yesterday over a spilt glass of water. Face it, you're so exhausted you'll cry over anything."

"Leaving Tyler isn't anything, Ross." Switching the baby onto the other side, I quickly glanced at the clock by my bedside as he resumed eating. It was nearing five in the morning. "I'm just not comfortable leaving him yet. They're more than welcome to come over or we can head over there, but I can't leave him. Not yet." 

I wanted nothing more than to get a few more hours of sleep, but I would rather be exhausted than leave Tyler. 

Ross gave a slow nod, his lips brushing my cheek. My skin tingled. Our relationship had been teetering on the edge of more than friends since that kiss, and I wanted so badly to fall. There were moments when Tyler was asleep and we were finally able to relax, that we found ourselves cuddled up on the couch, our legs and hands intertwined. We hadn't talked about our relationship or what we wanted, and that was okay. Sometimes words weren't necessary.