Chapter 13

With my hair damp and thrown into a messy bun, a pair of fresh clothes on- sweats- I settled into the hospital bed, pushing myself back against the pillows. A small sigh of relief passed through my lips, my body sore and tired. But despite how I was feeling, nothing could get rid of the wide smile that seemed to consume my face. 

"I can't believe he's still sleeping," Ross murmured quietly, gently bouncing Tyler in his arms as he smoothed his thumb over his cheek. Much like me, his smile wouldn't dwindle. 

"Don't jinx it," I chuckled lightly. "He'll probably be waking us up every hour." 

From the moment the ambulance arrived and Tyler was taken for routine tests once we were admitted to the hospital, he had barely made a sound. I had made sure Ross stayed with him the entire time, not wanting him to be alone. Though I was almost positive the delivery went well, I was still thrust into a series of tests. 

No one could imagine my relief when I finally heard the sirens of the ambulance approach our apartment. Hannah had done everything she could at that point, making sure my baby boy was healthy. Having a home birth was definitely not my plan, but with Hannah with me, she minimized my worries. I knew Ross would be slightly traumatized if he would have had to delivery Tyler, so I was so grateful that Hannah came along. 

Once all the tests were done and Tyler was deemed perfectly healthy, weighing in at seven pounds and four ounces and eighteen inches long, he was returned to my arms. They had ached to hold him for so long, and I wasn't sure I could ever let him go. He was my perfect little monkey. 

"Are you absolutely sure Hannah didn't mind watching Ace for us?" I questioned, biting on my lower lip. She had already done so much for us, but she didn't have to watch over our dog. 

Ross looked up from watching Tyler's sleeping face, giving me a quick shake of his head. "She said it was no problem. I told her to take him to her apartment if she feels more comfortable."

"She's freakin' amazing," I said. 

He chuckled. "Agreed. Now, aren't you glad I woke her up at two in the morning?" 

I outstretched my arms, signaling for him to hand me Tyler. He gently placed him in my arms, dropping a soft kiss on his forehead as he lowered himself on the bed. He made the slightest movement, but remained asleep. He looked so peaceful, so content. "I can't believe he's finally here."

Ross placed his palm on the top of Tyler's head, rubbing his thumb softly on his forehead. "Me either. But he is, and he's perfect." 

I leaned my head on his shoulder, both our eyes unable to stray away from Tyler's face. "Does he count as your birthday gift, because I actually didn't get you anything." 

He chuckled. "He's the best present I could ever ask for, Riles. Best Christmas and birthday present."

"Too bad he didn't come out with a bow on his head."

"Okay, maybe you should take a nap." Amusement was dancing across his features. "I'm afraid to know what else is gonna come out of your mouth."

"Probably something that doesn't make sense," I shrugged. I had caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror in the bathroom after my shower, and you could easily tell how tired I was by the bags under my eyes. "But how am I supposed to sleep when I know he's right here?" I gave him a childish pout, forcing my eyes to look away from his lips. 

The lips that I had kissed less than two hours ago. 

It was the most amazing kiss I had ever had, and I didn't want to pull away. I wanted to keep my lips against his forever, keep his body close to mine. Feel his skin touch mine. It felt like my body was on fire, every inch of my skin heated up just by that simple kiss. And if it weren't for Tyler in my arms, having been out in the world for only a few seconds, I would have.