Chapter 16

Leaving the apartment had never been so difficult before. Before Tyler came along, we'd be able to walk out the door completely empty handed in two minutes flat. Now? It felt like we took everything out of his room just to go to someone's house. The trunk of the car was packed, the folded up stroller taking most of the room. His baby bag was filled to the brim with necessities, and I could have sworn we took half his diaper supply. 

We were only going to Ross' parents house for lunch, yet it seemed like we were going on a weekend vacation. The amount of books read could never properly prepare you for the amount of things a baby needed. 

And holy crap, they needed a lot. 

"We should've just taken his crib with us, too." Ross commented, examining the trunk briefly before slamming it shut. The action slightly jostled the car, and I feared Tyler would wake up from his nap. I was surprised I was able to place him in the car seat while he remained asleep. He usually woke up at the drop of a feather. 

"Your mom has a collapsible one." Making sure he was buckled in correctly, I placed the soft blanket over his tiny body and pressed a kiss to his cheek before gently closing the door. 

"I was kidding."

"I wasn't." 

Chuckling, he went around the car and slid into the driver's seat. I followed his actions, sliding into the passenger seat despite my wanting to sit beside Tyler. He was right behind me, yet it felt like he was miles away. This little boy had us wrapped around his finger without even trying. 

Stormie had been dying to have everyone over for lunch, but couldn't because of everyone's schedule. Ross and I were still struggling to get into a routine with Tyler, and everyone else was working. Today was the only day everyone had off, and there was no way Ross and I were going to miss out on some family time just because we were exhausted. 

I wouldn't be surprised if I fell asleep at the table with my mouth wide open and fork mid-air. That would be quite the picture. 

The driveway was already occupied with the maximum number of two cars by the time we got to his parent's house, forcing us to park by the curb. I opted to get the stroller from the trunk while Ross grabbed Tyler from the carseat, cradling him against his chest. Tyler began to stir in his sleep, a small whimper passing through his tiny lips . 

"Go back to sleep, monkey." Ross whispered, gently rocking him as he held him close to his chest. Tyler instinctively latched onto Ross' shirt, the soft fabric bunched up in his tiny fist. Noticing the action, Ross pressed his lips to the top of his head, unable to stop himself from smiling. 

"You're not gonna let anyone hold him, are you?" I teased, sidling up beside him with the stroller. Rather than put Tyler down Ross opted to just hold him, allowing me to put the baby bag in his place. 

"Nope." 

The moment we got inside, Ross and I were attacked in greetings and hugs, most towards the sleeping baby on his chest. Tyler had become the main attraction the moment he was born, not that I could blame him. He was all I could focus on, too. 

Though Ross was reluctant to release his baby boy, he begrudgingly handed him over to Stormie, the grandmother immediately peppering his face in kisses. Cody, Riker and Savannah's son -who I couldn't believe was over a year old now- ran towards Stormie, trying to get a peek at Tyler. He raised himself on his tippy toes, wrapping an arm around his grandma's leg to keep himself steady. 

"Careful, buddy." Riker warned. 

"Baby, dada." Cody whined, sticking out his bottom lip. He tugged on the bottom of Stormie's shirt, practically begging to see Tyler with his eyes.