Chapter 11

If you haven't noticed the small change I made in the last chapter, it's no big deal. I just added a small part that says it's Christmas.

Ross followed my gaze to the floor, the two of us in a state of shock we could barely comprehend what had just happened. But there was one thought running through my mind. Holy crap, holy crap, holy fucking crap.

"Your water just broke." He was almost in a daze, his voice filled with disbelief. "Your water just broke."

I nodded. "Yeah. And it's a lot grosser than I thought it would be." The warm fluid was still slowly trickling down my leg, and all I wanted to do was take a shower and change my clothes. "Ross, are you okay?" I could almost laugh at the shock written on his face. We knew this was going to happen at any time, yet he was almost frozen.

He seemed to snap out of his trance, his eyes once again focusing on me. "Am I okay? You're in labor!"

This time I did laugh, releasing a small chuckle. "I know. But freaking out isn't going to do us any good. Besides, I haven't had any contractions yet."

He stared at me, like he couldn't believe what I had just said. Yes, I was calm, but I had no reason not to be. We had been preparing for this moment for months, and I was more than ready to get this baby out of me. I was ready to meet our son.

"You've been fine all day?"

"I just had a few cramps," I shrugged. "I thought it was normal."

"I don't know what I would have done if you went into labor while I was gone," he breathed out, running his fingers through his hair.

"Okay, please calm down. There's no need to think about the 'what ifs'. You're here, and that's all that matters." I gave him a reassuring smile, hoping to calm his nerves. The roles should've been reversed, Ross calming me down as I started freaking out. "Now go call everyone and let them know I'm in labor while I grab the bags. And someone needs to pick up Ace. I don't want him here alone."

Ross quickly nodded, hurrying to his room to make the phone calls. I padded my way to my room, my hand reaching for the packed bag that consisted of some clothes for me and the monkey outfit for our little monkey. I brought extra clothes for him just in case, but I really wanted him to go home in that outfit. It was just too adorable.

Just as I was about to walk out, wearing some new pants, my gaze focused on the empty crib, and a soft smile appeared on my face. I rested a hand on the wooden railing, and the other on my stomach. The next time we come home, we'd have our baby boy with us. I couldn't believe it.

"Okay, I called both our parents, and they'll spread the word. Rocky's gonna come and get Ace." Ross announced, coming up behind me. He rested a hand on the small of my back. "Crazy, huh? This crib won't be empty for long."

"Crazy and scary at the same time," I admitted. As I opened my mouth to continue, a dull ache started at my lower back and moved to my abdomen. My first contraction. It wasn't incredibly painful, but it was worse than period cramps. "What time is it?" I asked, unable to stop myself from wincing and gripping the edge of the crib.

Realizing I was having a contraction, Ross looked at his watch. "It's 9:17."

I nodded, exhaling slowly as the pain stopped. "Okay. Let's get going."

Ross took the bag from my grasp, wrapping his arm around me as he led us out of the apartment. I couldn't stop myself from kissing Ace goodbye, having become attached to the lovable puppy. I made sure we had everything we needed before locking the door, carefully making my way down the steps.