Chapter 14

I'm so sorry for the late chapter, writer's block really sucks. But all of your support helped me so much, and I really, really appreciate it. I love you all. 

"You packed everything?"

"Yes."

"Diapers?"

"Check."

"Pacifier?"

"Yup."

I narrowed my eyes, trying and failing to be intimidating. "Are you sure?"

"I'm positive, Riles." He assured me, resting his hands on my shoulders and kissing my forehead softly. He glanced down at Tyler, who rested in my arms. "I think your mommy's a little nervous, monkey. Tell her to calm down."

"Really? Can you blame me for being nervous? We're going home, which means no doctors or nurses to help us."

With every question I asked, my nurses and doctor had the answers. They put me at ease whenever I feared I was doing something wrong, assuring me that everything would be okay. I was a new mother, I was allowed to have doubts about my actions. It was normal, and according to my mom, she had them as well. No new mother was confident in their parenting skills, always afraid they would do something wrong.

It was terrifying to go home without having a medical professional assure you that everything was okay.

I smoothed my hand softly over Tyler's head, bringing him closer to my chest as I lowered myself onto the edge of the bed. Ross placed my bag on the floor before sitting beside me, wrapping his arm around my shoulder and carefully pulling me into his side. "Just because we don't have doctors or nurses helping us, doesn't mean we're alone. Our parents will help us."

"We can't go to them twenty-four seven, Ross. Tyler is our responsibility, not theirs. It wouldn't be fair to them." Though I had no doubt the grandparents would love to look after their grandson, I couldn't ask them to do that. Especially not now. Besides, I didn't think I could actually be apart from him for more than a couple of minutes. "I'm just scared." I murmured, unable to meet his eyes. I almost felt ashamed for admitting this.

"I know. But it's normal to feel this way. We're both new parents, and we will have our moments where we think we're not doing something right. But I know we can do it." He softly ran his finger over Tyler's little hand, smiling down at his son. "He's perfect, Riles. We did good."

"We have the alcohol to thank for that." If it weren't for that drunken night, Tyler would not be here. He was only one day old, but I couldn't imagine my life without him. I was already so in love with him.

When the nurse arrived with my discharge papers, Rydel having already brought down my belongings to her car, my nerves spiked. We were officially on our own, no doctors or nurses to help us. I was absolutely terrified, but I knew Ross was right. We could do this. We would have our moments where we believed we were doing something wrong, where we were so exhausted we thought we were going to collapse, but we could raise Tyler like our parents had raised us.

With Tyler in my arms, adorably dawned in his monkey outfit, the nurse wheeled me down to the first floor of the hospital, Ross walking right by my side. My heart was erratically beating in my chest, but the small smile on my face would not disappear.

As the nurse wheeled me right outside, Rydel's car parked right by the entrance as she awaited for our arrival, I handed Tyler to Ross. With a little help from the nurse - my body was still sore and tired - she helped me out of the chair. She gave me a gentle smile when I thanked her for everything before grasping the handles of the wheelchair and heading back inside the hospital.