Chapter 3

My focus was on an all time low today, my ultrasound appointment in a few hours. I couldn't even concentrate on creating the batter for the cookies, my mind completely cloudy. I just couldn't contain my excitement. Today would be the first time I would see my baby, even if it didn't look like a baby yet. 

"Riley, you have to mix the ingredients if you want the batter." 

I blinked, snapping out of my trance. My hand was on the switch of our mixer, but I was frozen. I smiled sheepishly at Claire, flicking it on. Her eyebrows were raised at me, a teasing smirk on her face. "Sorry. I'm just not focused today."

"I can tell. You're lucky we're not open today." She wiped her hands on her apron, removing any flour from her skin. "What's up? You're always focused."

"Nothing's wrong, I just have a doctor's appointment today." I shrugged, leaning against the counter. 

Her eyebrows furrowed. "Doctor's appointment? Everything okay?" 

I nodded, having not told her the news yet. Now would be a good time. "Don't kill me because I haven't told you yet, but I'm pregnant." 

I worked with Claire everyday since I found out the news, but I wasn't sure when the right time to tell her would be. We co-owned a small bakery in town and it was just the two of us, meaning she would most likely have to hire someone when I went on maternity leave. We started this business straight out of college, and it had been our baby every since. 

That was no longer the case for me. 

So, I was surprised when no yelling occurred. Instead, she wrapped her arms around me, squealing in my ear as she jumped up and down. "Oh, my God, congratulations! I didn't even know you were seeing anyone."

"Yeah, um," I awkwardly scratched the back of my neck. "I'm not. Ross and I may have gotten drunk and had sex."

She wiggled her eyebrows. "Ooh, sexy time with Mr. Hottie." 

I shoved her shoulder, rolling my eyes as she laughed. "Shut up. It was a one time thing."

"A one time thing that led to a baby." 

"Yeah." 

"Did you guys talk about what you're gonna do?" She questioned. 

I nodded. "He was shocked when I first told him, but he wants to be a part of his or her life. We agreed that we'd raise it together."

"Won't that be hard, though? I mean, I know you're best friends, but you're not together. You don't live together either. Raising a baby isn't easy for couples, but for people not living together?" She shrugged. "I'm just looking out for you."

"And I appreciate, really." I flashed her a smile. "But you don't need to worry. We haven't talked about everything, but we will. Ross and I can figure this out. And he's so excited, Claire. He's already read books on pregnancy so he can help me...he's been amazing so far and I'm only two months along." 

She grinned, pulling me in for another hug. "I'm happy for you, Riles. You're gonna make an amazing mom. You're kid is gonna be so adorable."

Claire couldn't stop going on and on about my baby during the rest of my shift. She was ranting about the cute clothes she was going to buy, her smile so wide I thought her face was going to get stuck. But I couldn't lie that my smile was the same when I left the shop. 

I was going to see my baby!

Ross and I agreed that it would be easier if we just met at the doctor's office, and I was pleasantly surprised to see him sitting in the waiting room when I arrived. He was never one for punctuality.