5

After deleting the messages from the police station off the voicemail I'd gotten into bed and fallen right to sleep. I'd been exhausted, but this morning I felt refreshed and ready to conquer the day.

"Mom," I called, stifling a yawn as I headed into the kitchen.

I stopped when I found a note sitting on the kitchen table explaining that she was gone for the day, restocking her supplies.

I grabbed an apple and sat down to eat.

Since I was currently phoneless and had no plans it looked like I'd spend the day doing what I typically did—playing piano and reading. I wasn't complaining, though. I enjoyed spending time by myself.

I finished the apple and tossed the core in the trashcan.

I got dressed for the day and sat down at the piano. I picked a random song, placed the sheets of music in front of me, and let my mind empty.

I'd started playing piano at an early age. My talent had been a source of conflict for my parents. Many said I was a prodigy and early on my dad had wanted to push me to make a name for myself. I'd been so young, though, and my mom had been firmly against it. She felt that talent was meant to be enjoyed, not forced, and she didn't want to see me learn to hate something I loved so much. I was thankful that I had a mom like her. While my dad had ended up a drunk asshole that abandoned us, at least I had one parent that was amazing when a lot of people had none.

I was so lost in the music and the way the keys felt against my fingertips that when the doorbell rang I squeaked and fell off the bench.

Gathering myself I straightened my clothes and pushed my hair out of my eyes.

I was sure it was Maddox at the door, but I was surprised to find that no one was there. Instead a plain brown box sat on the Welcome mat. I picked it up and gave it a little shake. The rustle of sound didn't give any indication of what might be inside.

I kicked the front door closed and headed to the kitchen for a knife.

I cut the tape around the corners and burst into laughter when I found what was inside.

"Really, Maddox?" I laughed out loud. Inside was a white box containing a shiny new iPhone. What made me laugh though, was the cartoonish drawing of, what I assumed was Maddox himself, asking for forgiveness. I peeled the drawing off, careful not to tear it. I carried it and the small box back to my room. I don't know what possessed me, but I stuck the drawing to the mirror above my dresser. I didn't want to get rid of it.

Once the piece of paper was stuck to my mirror I sat down on my bed and removed the lid off the small box.

Inside the phone lay nestled. I'd never owned anything so...so shiny. Or new.

I picked the phone up out of the box and pressed the round button to light up the screen. Since Sadie owned one I already knew how to work it.

I snorted when I saw the wallpaper. It was a photo of Maddox pouting with a little comic bubble added, asking, "Am I forgiven yet?"

I jumped when the phone started ringing in my hand. Maddox's face popped up again, but this time it was a different photo—a normal one where he wore an easy smile and seemed to be laughing at something in the distance.

"Hello?" I answered.

"How about now?"

I laughed, ducking my head. "You are relentless."