17

The rough clearing of a throat had me blinking my eyes open sleepily.

"Hi, mom," I yawned.

"Morning, Emmie...Maddox."

"Maddox?" I questioned.

She raised her brows and nodded her head.

I startled. I was still half asleep or I would've noticed sooner that a body was wrapped around me. He had me cocooned to his chest and his head was buried into the crook of my neck. His warm breath blew softly against my skin. He was sound asleep. At least we were both fully clothed so my mom couldn't accuse of us anything.

"Sorry," I mouthed. "We fell asleep."

"Obviously," she grumbled, putting on a motherly face. "I like him, I do," she said in a hushed whisper, "but I'm not okay with this."

I winced. I hated displeasing my mom. "I'm really sorry."

She nodded her head, as if my words somehow made it better. "I'll make breakfast. Wake him up."

I nodded, assuring her that I would.

With one last glance at us she left my room.

I tried to roll over, but Maddox's arm had me pinned to the bed. I tried to shove his arm off, but that didn't work. I finally pinched him and that got him moving.

"What the hell, Emma?" He cried, rolling onto his back and rubbing his eyes.

"My mom." It was only two words but his eyes widened in horror.

"Is she pissed?" He asked, scrubbing his hands through his already sleep mused hair.

I nodded.

"Fuck," he groaned, sitting up. "I'm really sorry. I was planning to leave once you fell asleep, but then I went to sleep too, and—"

"It's okay," I interrupted him. "We just can't let this happen again or she might kill me...and I'd really like to graduate high school."

He snickered. "Okay. No more sleepovers."

Something in his tone told me that there would, indeed, be more sleepovers.

Before I could give that much more thought I let out a squeak and rolled out of bed onto the floor.

"You okay?" Maddox asked.

"Yep," I cried, wanting to hide behind my hands. I'd suddenly realized that I'd just woken up in bed with Maddox and my hair was bound to be a mess and oh my God what if my breath smelled awful? I cupped my hands over my mouth and breathed, inhaling the scent a bit. "Ugh," I groaned. "That's nasty."

"What's nasty?" Maddox asked, striding around the bed and over to me.

"Nothing!" I cried, jumping to my feet. He probably thought I'd lost my mind. Maybe I had. I reached up, trying to tame my wild hair.

"I'm going to go brush my feet."

"Your feet?" Maddox repeated, biting his lip to stifle his laughter.

"I meant my teeth!" I ran past him and out of the room, straight into the bathroom. I slammed the door closed and leaned against it. I let out a pent up breath. Oh my God, that was mortifying. My feet? Seriously? Sometimes my brain and mouth did not communicate.

Even behind the closed door I could still hear him laughing. At least I amused him.

I shook my head and went to brush my teeth and hair, trying to make myself look halfway decent and not like the spawn of Satan...which was what I usually looked like when I just woke up.