10

Maddox called me last night and told me that their flight had been delayed and he'd be home too late to pick up Sonic. I assured him that it was fine, and that I'd even grown fond of the hedgehog. I left out the part about losing him.

Since I knew Maddox would probably arrive early to pick up his beloved pet I made myself get up and ready. Last night when we spoke on the phone he told me to be ready to cross off another adventure today. I was excited and scared, all at the same time, to see what he had planned. I mean, I might've known what the possibilities were, but I had no idea which one he'd picked.

I stared at my reflection in the mirror.

The girl I saw there almost looked like a stranger.

Yeah, it was definitely me—the same wild and untamable hair, full lips, and freckles—but what I saw reflected in my eyes was where the difference lay. My eyes sparkled with happiness. Even my skin glowed and my cheeks had a natural and pretty flush.

Maddox was bringing back the carefree Emma that had rolled down hills and sang songs without abandon—the girl who'd been unaware of the world's cruel punishments.

It was strange to see her reflected back at me again.

She'd been gone so long I thought she was lost forever.

In fact, I'd stopped looking for her.

I had accepted that this melancholy way was how my life was meant to be—but I'd been wrong.

I smiled and smoothed my hands down my cardigan.

This excitement I felt at seeing him was foreign, but exhilarating.

I wasn't supposed to like him—or any guy—to avoid getting hurt, but I knew without a doubt that Maddox was impossible to ignore.

The doorbell rang through the house and I stepped out of the bathroom. My cheeks lifted in a permanent smile as I headed towards the door. I tried to tone it down, but I couldn't. I was just that happy to see him.

It hadn't even been a week since the last time I saw him, but the moment I opened the door and saw him standing there it felt like forever.

I couldn't control my reaction to seeing him, even if I had wanted to.

I jumped into his arms, wrapping mine around his neck. "I missed you," I admitted against his shoulder.

His chuckle was warm and pleased sounding. His hands rubbed against my back and he didn't seem to want to let go either.

I forced my arms to fall and took a step back. Now, the embarrassment came. "Sorry about that," I mumbled, toeing the ground with my shoe.

He chuckled and I felt his fingers connect with my chin. He slowly lifted my chin until he could look fully at my face. "Don't apologize. I enjoyed it." His eyes were serious for once, with no laughter sparkling in the gray depths.

I didn't know what to say, and since I was quite possibly one of the most awkward people on the planet I stuttered, "Uh...you should...uh...get Sonic."

His lips twisted into a smile. "Really?" His brows rose. "Because I think there's something else I should do first."

"Really? Wha—"

My reply was cut off by his soft lips connecting with mine. I was shocked and didn't know what to do at first.

My brain was all like, "Oh my God! He's kissing you!"