14

Two weeks passed and the stifling July heat rolled in. Even in Maddox's air-conditioned guesthouse my tank top still stuck to my body with a fine sheen of sweat.

"It's too hot," I whined, crooking my arm over my eyes where I laid on the cool floor.

Either he ignored me or he couldn't hear me over the drums.

I had no idea what he was playing, it didn't sound like any song I knew but I quite liked it.

A moment later the banging of the drums ceased.

"We could always go swimming. You know, that's what the pool is for when it isn't filled with balls."

"You did hear me," I mumbled, turning my head towards the area where the drum kit sat. I still couldn't really see him, just his sneaker-covered feet, since I was lying on the floor.

He chuckled. "Yes, I did. But I wanted to finish the song. Now, do you want to go swimming or not?"

"I don't have a bathing suit," I argued.

I heard him stand up from the stool and his boots clomped across the floor before stopping in front of me. He lowered to a squat and stared down at me. "Unless you're naked under there," he eyed my clothes, "then I think you'll be just fine."

I wrinkled my nose. The idea of stripping down to my unflattering grandmaish underwear in front of Maddox was not appealing.

"I was lying, I'm not that hot."

He threw his hands in the air, exasperated. "Women," he muttered. His eyes softening, he said, "I'll take you to Target for a swimsuit then."

"No, it's okay." I stretched my arms out on the cool hardwood floor. "This floor has accepted me as one of it's own. We're family now."

He stared at me for a moment, his lips twitching with the threat of a smile.

Instead of saying anything he reached down and grabbed me up into his arms.

"Maddox," I groaned, "this is silly."

"You're the one that's claiming my floor is now your family, so who's the silly one again?"

I groaned. "Just put me down."

"Nope," he said, and I knew he had to be grinning, "we're going to Target and getting you a bikini...a really slutty one." I swatted at his behind and he chuckled in response. "And then we're getting Slurpee's."

"Slurpee's?" I confirmed as he carried me outside and to his car.

"Yep. On hot days like this it's absolutely necessary to have a Slurpee."

He set me down then and opened the car door.

The heat rolled out from the vehicle and I nearly fell down. "I think I'm going back to the floor."

"Don't even think about it." He blocked my way.

I grumbled and slid into the car, the hot leather nearly burning my bare legs.

"Let's go somewhere cold," I told Maddox when we got in, "like Antarctica."

"Sorry, but we're not cuddling penguins today," he chuckled, cranking up the AC. "Target will have to do."

***

"Look, Emma!" Maddox called. "I found the perfect one!"

I glanced over to find him grinning and holding up the skimpiest bikini I had ever seen. I looked down at my ample chest and then at him. "That wouldn't even cover my nipples," I blurted.