16

Maddox: I have to go out of town for a few days.

The text message flashed on the screen of my phone. I currently sat on my bed with a book in my lap, the afternoon sunlight streaming in through the open blinds.

Emma: Did something bad happen? I couldn't stop myself from asking.

Maddox: No. Nothing like that. I'll be back in two days...tomorrow evening if I'm lucky.

Emma: I'll see you soon then.

Maddox: I'll miss you.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't going to miss him too, but he wasn't my whole life. Besides, this was a good thing. Sadie had been bitching at me the last few days for not hanging out with her. I couldn't blame her for being irritated with me, and I felt bad for blowing her off. Things had been so new and exciting with Maddox that I'd started neglecting my best friend.

After telling Maddox I'd miss him too I sent a text to Sadie, asking if that girl's day she'd talked about was still open. She was quick to reply.

Sadie: How about you come over tonight? Sleepover? Pizza? And then we can go shopping tomorrow.

Emma: Sounds good.

***

"He is so hot," Sadie sighed dreamily, drooling over the half-naked guy on her TV. I think he was supposed to be a werewolf or something. I wasn't sure, since I didn't watch much TV. Shows made me bored for some reason, which was why I stuck to music and books. "Don't you think he's hot?" She asked me.

"Sure," I agreed. I was currently too busy devouring a slice of pizza to check out the guy.

"Ugh, you're no fun," she groaned, pushing my shoulder in jest.

I smiled. "Hey, look at it this way, at least we don't have to fight over who gets him."

"Bitch, he's mine," she narrowed her eyes, fighting a smile. "You know how those dark-haired, dark-eyed boys make me."

I giggled. "Yeah, they make you throw your underwear across the room."

She rolled onto her back laughing. "It's true." Sobering, she said, "I'm putting myself on a strict no dating policy for senior year."

I snorted.

"What?" Her eyes widened. "You don't think I can do it?"

"Nope."

"I'm going to prove you wrong." She jutted out her chin defiantly.

"You'll last a day," I grinned, taking another bite of pizza.

"You have such little faith in me," she shook her head. "You're my best friend, you should be cheering me on."

"I think you have some pom poms in your closet if you need me to cheer," I joked. Sobering, I added, "Seriously, I think it's good for you to focus on something other than boys for a change."

She reached for a slice of pizza. "I don't want to be that girl anymore. You know," she shrugged, "the slut."

I rolled my eyes. "You're not a slut, Sadie." I knew for a fact that she'd only had sex with one guy. She might've been provocative, but she didn't jump into bed with every guy she batted her eyes at.

"That's not what the people at school think," she sighed. "I want to show people, and myself, that I can stand on my own two feet and do something for me. No, not just that," she frowned. "I want to prove that I can be someone."