15

"I thought we'd take it easy today, but still do something...fun." Maddox smiled, standing on my front porch.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. "I just woke up. Fun is not on my agenda for a few more hours." It was already after noon, but I'd been up late reading.

"You're going to have to put it on your schedule then, because we need to be there in thirty minutes."

"Where is there?" I whined, blocking the sun from my eyes with my hand.

He snorted. "Did you really think I'd tell you?" Pushing his way inside he waved a hand at me. "Go get ready. You have ten minutes before I come after you and dress you myself."

"You wouldn't." I glared at him as I shut the door.

"I would," he replied with a grin.

"Ugh." I shoved my fingers through my messy hair and stomped back to my room. Thank God I'd showered last night and didn't have to worry about that. I grabbed a pair of shorts, a tank top, and a cardigan with an Aztec design. I tried my best to tame my hair, but it was sort of a lost cause. At least the swelling in my nose was practically gone, and a little bit of concealer and foundation hid the bruise.

Grabbing my bag I darted out into the living room and ran smack into Maddox's hard chest. His hands clasped around my arms to steady me.

"Oh you're ready," he frowned. "How disappointing for me. I was quite looking forward to dressing you myself." He winked, causing my cheeks to heat with color. He held me at arms length, appraising my nose. "Looks good today. Ezra's still torn up about it."

I laughed. "He's not even the one hurt and I feel like I need to get him a Get Well balloon."

"We should," Maddox agreed. "It would only make him feel even sorrier."

I winced. "It was an accident. I really hate that he feels so bad."

Maddox let go of me and started towards the door. "He should feel bad," he mumbled.

I let the subject drop, because I didn't want to deal with the teasing I'd get if I told him the only reason it happened in the first place was because I was gawking at him.

I followed Maddox to the car, which was still running, and busted out laughing when I saw Sonic sitting on the dashboard.

"The hedgehog is coming with us?"

"Of course," Maddox gasped. "He's like our team mascot."

I snorted. "But you don't bring him everywhere with you."

"Well, zip lining was not hedgehog appropriate. Today's activities are."

"Good to know," I nodded, sliding into the car.

Maddox got behind the wheel and placed Sonic in his lap.

He drove through the neighborhood where his house was, so I assumed we were going there.

I was shocked when he pulled into the driveway of a different home. Several other cars were parked in the driveway and on the street.

"Why are we here?" I asked, unbuckling my seatbelt.

"You'll see," he sing-songed.

I followed him to the front door where he rang the bell. I heard the sounds of several voices on the other side and the door opened to reveal a little old lady standing there. Her gray hair was bushed around her head, and she was hunched over. Her blue eyes were kind and sweet and her smile was blindingly happy.