Epilogue

—Eight months later

"This is stupid," I groaned, "I don't even want to go." I complained, wincing when Sadie brushed through a knot in my hair.

"Shut up. It's prom. You're going. Even Maddox insisted upon it." She braided some strands of hair, pulling them back into a bun.

"I don't see why Maddox's opinion matters here, he's in L.A., so he shouldn't get to vote on whether or not I go. This isn't my thing," I insisted, eyeing the dress hanging on the back of my door. At least it wasn't that bad.

I'd picked it out on a shopping trip with Sadie and our moms. It had thin spaghetti straps, and dipped down into a V shape in the front—but luckily stopped before it became too revealing. The top was a light peach color fading into blue and purple in an ombre effect. It cinched in at the waist before flowing down. It wasn't a big ballroom dress or anything too flashy. It was simple and pretty.

"This is our senior prom, and I have forgone a date as a favor to your boyfriend, so that we can go as friends. So suck it up, princess." She stuck a flowered headband on my head.

"But everyone will stare at me," I mumbled, looking down at my lap.

This school year had been awkward to say the least. Everyone knew I was dating Maddox, so I'd gone from a nobody to the most popular girl in school in a matter of seconds. Everyone wanted to be my best friend in the hopes of getting close to the Willow Creek boys. It was annoying the lengths some people would go to, to try to get close to me. Luckily, I had Sadie, and she kept the crazies away with her cheetah print pepper spray. She made a good sidekick. Actually, she was probably the superhero while I was the sidekick, but I was okay with that.

She finished fiddling with my hair and stepped back. "Hair and makeup done." She clapped her hands together. "Now go put on your dress so I can see what the final product looks like."

"Yes, ma'am," I saluted her. I grabbed my dress off the back of my door.

She'd already changed into her dress—a pretty pale pink dress with silver detailing. With her tan skin and brown hair it was stunning.

I changed into my dress and turned to eye my reflection in the mirror.

"What do you think?" I turned to Sadie so she could see it from the front.

"If I were a lesbian I'd totally date you."

"Thank you," I rolled my eyes.

"Hey, that's a high compliment. There aren't many girls I'd switch teams for."

"Just stop talking," I told her, suppressing a laugh.

Sadie checked her phone. "We better get out of here."

"I thought we were supposed to be fashionably late?" I repeated her words from earlier.

"Emma," she eyed me, "we're already fashionably late. Prom started over an hour ago."

"Ohhh," I frowned. "I didn't know."

"Obviously," she laughed.

I followed her out into the living room where my mom and her parents waited. After snapping more than enough photos it was time for us to leave. We'd planned on just driving Sadie's car, but when we opened the door a limo sat parked on the street.

"Maddox," I smiled, sighing dreamily.

Sadie groaned. "I hate it when you get that dopey look on your face."