CHAPTER 10- ROOFTOPS

As if noticing the other's disappearances, he spoke, "If you don't mind, can you follow me somewhere?" His eyes were still lifeless, but they held a small glitter of hope. I stayed silent, not knowing if this was the test or not. Taking my silence as a "yes", he started to walk to the elevator.

11.25.16

I meekly followed him, unsure of the reasons behind his reasoning, and entered the elevator once more. He waited for me and pressed the highest button on he pad. The box lifted up, making small dings at every level. The silence was unbearable, save for the dings  and the sounds of our breaths.

I thought back to earlier: it was a hectic yet eventful day. No words could explain my feelings. Nor this silence that can be cut by a knife. I sighed and wished for the doors to open.

As if answering my plead, the elevator opens, bringing a gust of wind into my face.  The sun had already set, shades of purple and blue looming in the sky. I ran out of the elevator, as if it was a ticking time bomb, to the railings. My footfalls not making a sound as they hit the asphalt and steel railings. My hands touched the cool surface, eyes focused at the view. The view was beautiful: lights of the buildings similar to fireflies.

Suddenly, a voice resounded in my head, as well as a face. A face I knew all too well. Why? Why do I have to remember now? I asked myself, mind reeling.

Footsteps resounded behind me.

"Liking the view?"

"Yeah," I replied, not paying attention at Judas who appeared at my right. 

"Reminds me of the event two Announcements ago," Judas started, eyes staring at the illuminated buildings. "There was this... child. Around five or so. And she was-"

"Can you please stop?" I interrupted. I didn't want someone to reprimand me, not now. Especially since...

He cleared his throat, "Well, you'd know it better than me. Since," his eyes met mine, full of sorrow, "that child was..."

"Me," I completed his sentence, annoyance underlying my voice. Why was he bringing this up? He made a small smile, "Yes. And the one who saved you was-"

"Please stop!" I lashed out, my knuckles becoming white from gripping the railings. He doesn't know what he's talking about. Since.... since...

Judas lifted his hands, as if making a sign of surrender, "I get it, I'll stop."

Silence hang in the air. Crickets making noises and the echoing ding of the elevator. I looked far into the distance, wondering if the four have finished their conversations with their assigned person. I glanced at Judas, whose eyes were studying me. He noticed my glance and dropped his gaze. He took a breath and broke the silence.

"Your wondering why I haven't spoken to you about your... allocation, correct?"

"Y-yes," I stuttered, surprised at Judas' blunt question.

He looked at the darkening blue sky, "It's because..."

I looked at him, curiosity piqued, "Because?"

"Because your-," he stopped mid-sentence and whipped his head at my direction, eyes full of energy- something that I've never seen in the half-day I've known him.

"Your," Judas' words slowed, and turned into a mumble I couldn't hear.

"Wha-," I asked, my question broken by the elevator. 

As if on cue, the elevator dinged, revealing Anthia, a smile on her face.

"If you don't mind," her angelic voice was soft and soothing, similar to a siren's voice, "time is up, Judas."

Judas nodded and looked at me, hazel on blue. His eyes wanted to convey something to me, something that I would only understand. But, I didn't. His eyes just contained hints of sadness and joy.

"Ahem," Anthia coughed, bringing our attention to her, "If you don't mind?" She added again, completely annoyed of Judas's presence.

Judas just nodded and walked towards the elevator, leaving Anthia and myself on the roof.

Anthia looked at me, surprise in her eyes, "I didn't think Judas would bring anyone up here," a smile appeared on her face, " Except ... that child and," her eyes glanced at me, "yourself. "

"Who was that child?" I asked, wanting answers as to why Judas brought me up here. It wasn't for the conversation I convinced myself. Nor the incident ten years ago. Wait a minute...

"That child's name was --------," she answered, care and kindness in her voice. I looked at her. The name was replaced with a beep.

Annoyed, I asked her to say it again, but no avail.

"Sorry, but can you repeat that?"

"That child was named ------."

? Why couldn't I hear that child's name? Suddenly, the memory of that day came back. Is it possible?

"Miss Anthia-" I started.

"Call me Anthia or Thia if you'd like," She cut me off.

"Then, Thia, what String does Judas Head of?" I looked at her, hoping for a answer.

Thia just smiled, "I shouldn't say anything this early. However, since it seems he got his answer...," A pause. "He's the Head of the Black String. Why do you ask?"

I was speechless. There was no way that...

"So," I didn't continue, since I already knew the answer to my question.

"So?"

"No, its nothing."

"Ok then," She clapped her hands together, "Let's go see your friends then!"

I just nodded and followed her on the elevator. Thoughts and questions flooded my mind. But the one that annoyed me the most was Why was I chosen for the Black String? Why can't I hear that person's name?

A/N: Ok so short update. I've also italicized Cenon's thoughts. Before I forget, updates will be unusual. It is not because I've gotten tired of typing, its because of finals week coming soon. So... I'll probably update before the new year!  Also, make a guess of what happened 10 years ago and who this mystery person is! (P.S.- It may or may not be a introduced character.)

Anyways, thanks for reading this chapter of Fate of Strings!

Want to be updated? Follow and you'll know when the next update will be or any sneak peeks!

Loving the story? Give a star so others will know!

Confused or have a idea? Drop a comment down below!

I will see you later in the next chapter CHANCE MEETING !!