the first day

My mother had been very strict about Scotty and I's education. Up until about the time my mom met Bill, I'd seen school and grades as something pretty important, too.

After they got married, everything just changed.

After all, for a while it had just been mom, Scotty and I. If I ever wanted to make a living, I'd have to get a good job. Or marry rich – but that idea had never appealed to me.

Now we had Bill, and as much as he sorta sucked as a dad, at least he paid the bills.

Hah. Bill – paid the bills?
Yeah. I'm not funny. Jk. Yes I am.

Seeing as our mother cared so much about our education, she saw it absolutely essential that we attended school for the last two weeks before summer.

By that point, I was already not so pleased with my high school experience. I had technically already finished my sophomore year at my old school. I'd tried to tell that to my mother, but I think she just wanted me to make friends.

I've always been sort of shy in school, and I tended to keep to myself. Not that I'm complaining or anything about being a loner – I liked being alone.

I like to daydream. I don't like wearing pretty skirts, or jumpers like the other girls. And I absolutely detest small talk. It's the worst. Thing. Ever.

Besides gender stereotypes. Don't even get me started on those.

You'll regret it.

Anyways, it was my second day in the Valley and I was determined to make it a not-so-sucky one.

However, I was not a morning person.

Mom came into my room at around 6:30 am. School started at 7:30, and she scolded me for hiding my head under my pillow when she drew my curtains.

"Chop chop, Shaye. Breakfast is already on the table."

"Mom," I groaned. She ripped the pillow away from my face, and I hissed as the sun reflected off the soft blue walls of the room, searing through my eyelids.

"Sheila! Put on a nice dress and get your butt up!" She threw a pair of shoes at me and an old skirt still on the hanger, which kind of hurt.

I forced my eyes open and climbed out of bed, stumbling to the bathroom, blinded by the light.

After I'd put on the stupid skirt I sneaked on my high tops and put my hair up. I hated it in my face.

Then I sat down at the table, and scarfed down some bacon.

"Hurry up, Scotty is already outside, waiting on the porch. You have to walk him to the middle school."

"Mom, why do I have to go, anyways?"

My mother just glared at me with an expression that implied she wasn't planning on answering my question.

I decided to shut my mouth, grab my book bag, and leave before I ruined my shot at wearing whatever I wanted the next two weeks. One dress a year was good enough for me.

✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

After I'd dropped Scotty off, I walked across the street to the High School that was conveniently that close. Scotty had pleaded me to take him to ditch instead, but my mother would've killed us if she found out.