the late night diner date

Benny looked to our entwined hands, and gently swung them back and forth, happily. The streets of our neighborhood were generally quiet, and only a few cars passed before we got to the main road a couple blocks away.

We were strangely quiet as we walked, and although my fingers felt right in Benny's hand I was all too nervous that I was dreaming, and if I spoke too much or too loud I'd wake up.

We reached Benny's diner which was settled on the corner of a busy street about a 15 minute walk from our street. He opened the door and a bell rung to signal our entrance. "After you, m'lady," Benny said, as he held it open for me and we both blushed.

I slid into a booth in the back of the diner that reminded me of the one that Benny, Kate, Ham, and I had eaten at earlier in the summer. Only this time, it was just me and him, and he sat next to me, our bodies so close to touching.

A tired looking waiter drifted over to our corner of the diner and seemed too weary to care that two kids our age were out so late at night, all alone together.

"Orders?"

Both Benny and the waiter looked at me, and I suddenly realized I had no money with me or anything. "Oh Benny, I just remembered I don't have any money with–"

"Don't worry about it," he grinned, pulling his wallet out from his pocket. "I'll take care of you."

I blushed, and beamed at him, thankfully.

The waiter was still staring at me, impatiently shifting on his feet, pencil at the ready.

"I'll have a small fry, I guess."

"Make that a large," Benny said.

"Is that all?"

We nodded, and the waiter left to go back into the kitchen.

"Thanks Ben," I smiled.

"Anytime," he said. "I mean it."

He was gazing at me so intently I could've sworn I was having the best dream of my life. I couldn't help but gaze back like a sappy girl in some romantic film where two lovers explore the depths of each other's souls – only Benny and I weren't lovers – we'd only just kissed, and I could barely gather the courage to hold his hand. Embarrassed, I turned away and studied the odd ambience of the somewhat quiet diner.

There was only a pair of old men I overheard talking from the bar counter, and a solitary woman sitting on the opposite side. The two party's were seemingly separate, and I was thanking God I didn't know either of them.

"If my mother knew I was here right now.."

Benny found my hand on my lap and squeezed it gently.

Electricity gripped my skin, Benny's warmth enveloping my palm.

"Shaye, I'm sorry, we didn't have to come– I just, I couldn't stop thinking about–"

I squeezed back. "No, no.. I just.. I know my mom would kill me if she knew I was here right now, with you. At night." I could see in his face he was suddenly worried.

"But I want to be," I added, and Benny's smile returned. "Never mind anyone else."

He was grinning at me again, ear to ear.