the witty ones

It turns out I only had to attend school for two days because the high schoolers were just taking finals the last three days of school.

I had already taken mine back home. Well, at our old home.

The students at Southern Valley High also got out of school a week before Scotty's school did, because we would go back to school before the junior high students did.

I figured since I wore a nice outfit yesterday to please my mom, I could wear whatever I wanted today. It was always super hot in the Valley, so I figured denim shorts and a white tee shirt would do.

Scotty had arranged to walk to school with Kenny, Timmy, and Tommy so I set off for my second last day of freshman year.

I had just crossed the street outside my house and was heading south when I heard footsteps lightly jogging up behind me. "Shaye!"

I knew it was Benny. "What're you stalking me or something?" I said, rolling my eyes jokingly as he fell into stride beside me.

He laughed at my lame ass joke.

"Nah, just figured you might want someone to walk with."

To be honest, I didn't really. But it was Benny, and he was just trying to be nice so I went along with it.

"Oh. Thanks."

"No problem."

✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

By the time we got to school, within ten minutes or so I was actually sad we had to part ways. Benny had this way of making walking to school not such a terrible, soul-crushing task. We talked a lot.

"See ya later, I guess," he smiled.

Oh my god his smile is contagious what the heck?

"Yeah, see ya!" I called after he walked down the hall.

I was smiling. At school.

That lasted about 14.6 seconds.

"Hey," a high girly voice rudely shrieked from behind me.

I turned around, confused. Was someone actually talking to me? Did I do something wrong?

Standing before me was a pretty, thin blonde. A pair of girls wearing expensive-looking clothes had appeared behind her.

"Uh.." I stuttered, completely confused as to why a girl wearing a designer pink dress and white heels who smelled like the perfume aisle at a department store was talking to me.

"Yeah. You. The charming new girl," she said, in a sarcastically layered tone. As she said the word "charming" dripping with venom I noticed her eyes dart down to judge my outfit.

What? Did she have a problem with a girl wearing anything comfortable?

It's not like we're living in the 17th century, for crying out loud.

"Oh. Uh, thanks?" I questioned, trying to be polite.

She forced a stone cold laugh, and as she did, her minions laughed behind her.

"How cute" she sneered. "What's your name?"

"Shaye?"

Why the hell was she so interested in me? It was making me uncomfortable – I'm pretty sure I mentioned this already, but unwanted attention made me hella uncomfortable.

"Aww, what a nice name."

I wasn't even listening to her anymore. I noticed people staring at us, all around.