the ice cream confessions

Let's try to get to 50 votes this chapter, how about that? We got this guys. Enjoy!

We found a small bench beneath a tree in the back corner of the carnival grounds, the blinking lights of the ferris wheel still in sight. Benny sat down beside me, careful not to get too close.

"I'm so stupid," I mutter. I glance up at Benny in shame. "I'm sorry, I don't know why I can't handle a damn ride, for crying out loud. I used to go to the carnival every year with.."

After a few quiet seconds of consideration, Benny finished my sentence: "...Your dad."

I nodded, and suddenly I felt a tightness in my chest. I began tugging anxiously at the silver chain around my wrist, fingers trembling. Benny slid over, and wrapped his arms around my whole head, bringing it to his chest.

He rocked me gently, back and forth on the bench, and I fought back the tears that were pooling in my eyes. I was too upset, too overwhelmed, to be embarrassed.

"He hadn't taken me for a while," I said. "To the carnival I mean, before he.. left. I don't know why. Probably my mother said something about me being too old. The Ferris wheel was his favourite, because he could see everything. I hated it for that reason, but I rode it with him anyways because it made him really happy."

We were quiet for a bit. The lights were blinking, and it was magical, and I couldn't help but cuddle deeper into Benny's shirt. His kindness was so strange. He was so good, it reminded me of the past, and filled me with a bunch of warm, fuzzy butterflies. "I'm glad you told me," he said.

Suddenly, everything seemed better. I felt lighter, all at once. At the same moment I realized it felt like if I thought too much, all of the magic and happiness would go away. So I sat up, and turned to face Benny shyly.

"You all good now?" he asked.

I nodded, calmly, and then smiled.

"And I thought you needed a break."

He chuckled a bit, and I laughed, and the butterflies fluttered.

Benny stood up, and shifted on his feet for a second. "Hey, uh, wanna get some ice cream?"

My cheeks lit up, and I popped off the bench beside him.

"You bet!"

✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

"You shoulda seen the look on his face!" Benny laughed. "When you hit Russ's curveball over that damn fence, lil Phillips looked like he was gonna puke in his glove."

Laughing, I pictured tiny Phillips keeled over on the sand, hurling out a quarter of his breakfast.

Benny and I were sitting on top of a picnic table behind the concession booth. There was hardly anyone else around, just a couple of moms sitting at the opposite corner of the food court waiting for their toddlers to finish their cotton candy.

I licked the pistachio waffle cone Benny'd bought me, and licked my lips afterwards to get every last bit of sweetness on my tongue.

"You're really enjoying that, aren't you?"

I nodded, smiled, and licked some more ice cream. "Thanks Benny," I mumbled between licks.

Benny just nodded and laughed at me, then took a spoonful of his own banana split.

"Hey, uh, Shaye? Can I ask you something?"

I looked up, and Benny seemed so serious all of a sudden. Hesitantly I nodded. "I guess? Shoot."

"I-I don't wanna bother you or anything, it's just. I can't stop thinking about it–"

"–Jesus, you're making me nervous!"