the fifth of july

On July 5th I woke to Scotty shaking me awake in the early morning with my mother pulling Bill's telephone into the hall. The cord was tangled around the doorknob and at first I wondered who on earth it could be.

What– Kate!

I forced my eyes open and kept out of bed to race to the phone. Bill was out again, so I wouldn't have to worry about giving up the phone.

"It's Kate, hon," mom said, handing me the receiver and the dial box to carry into my room.

"Thanks," I mouthed, and then I answered the phone: "Kate?"

I was responded by a squeal of delight on the other end of the line. "Shayeeee!"

I yanked the receiver away from my ear and settled myself on my bed in a comfortable lounged position– I could tell– this was gonna take a while.

"Shaye, you'll never guess what happened!"

"What?!"

"Guess!"

"What? No, tell me!

"Guess!"

"Um, you met someone famous?"

"Nope."

"You won the lottery?"

"No!"

I could see her grin right through the phone, and it kept getting bigger and bigger as I kept guessing.

"Your mom is getting married?"

"Eew, no!"

"Well, what is it then?"

"Somebody kissed me!"

"What? Who? Who– where is he, lemme–"

"Somebody we know."

"Who!?"

"Somebody.. somebody who's kissed me before."

Ham.

"Oh my gosh. No way!"

"Yep."

"Ham!"

"Uh, yeah. I said yup already, can't cha hear?"

"Yeah, I can hear, it's just.. wow. Again?"

"I know! It's so weird.."

"When?!"

"That morning– the morning I left."

"Oh, wooowwww. I knew that."

"What– you knew? How?"

"I saw him walking towards your house," I responded, giggling into the phone as I remembered Ham's flustering. "He was so nervous."

"Aww, really?"

"Aww, you totally like him!"

"I do.. too." Kate sighed. I wished I could've nudged her through the phone, but that was impossible, and there were thousands of miles between us.

"I knew it."

"Shut up.."

Smiling like a dork, I asked my best friend how her second kiss was.