the secret

When I woke the next morning, face smashed into my pillow, shoed feet dangling off the bed, Scotty was pounding on my door.

"Shaye?! Shaye, are you alive in there?"

The locked knob rattled, and I groaned in exhaustion.

"Shaye, c'mon! We're gonna be late to meet the guys!"

"Shut up, Scotty," I grumbled, the muffled remark somehow still heard by my mother through the closed door.

"Sheila, how many times must I tell you not to speak to your brother like that?"

"Ughh," I groaned, finally forcing myself to roll off the bed. The sunlight bounced off the walls, and my head throbbed as I stood up, squinting.

I opened the door to find Scotty waiting for me, dressed and ready outside my room.

"Oh, you're ready," he said, glancing down at my shoes. "Wearing the same thing as yesterday?" he asked, curiously.

"Uhh, no," I said, as I anxiously glanced down the hall to see mother studying me as she ironed one of Bill's suits. "No, I just forgot I wore this yesterday, that's all. Let me change again real quick."

I slammed the door shut and sighed as I leaned against it.

I'm so tired.

Despite my exhaustion, and the irritation that came with it, I couldn't keep the blood from rushing to my cheeks, and a giddy smile from covering my lips as I recalled the reasons why I'd gotten to bed so late. I shivered, remembering the way Benny'd kissed me – the way his fingers had traced the skin beneath my shirt. I could almost feel the touch, and the euphoria that'd come with with it.

My stomach twisted into knots as I realized what all of it meant:

Nothing would ever be the same. Benny and I could no longer be just friends. Even if nothing permanent between us resulted from last night's events, I'd never be able to forget the way it felt to touch him and be touched, to feel his embrace – not just of my physical being, but of my whole self. I felt he knew me in a way that only he could, and even if today he told me he wanted to just remain friends, or he didn't feel anything beyond platonic affection for me anymore, we could still never be the same because we'd be "friends that were once something more," instead of "just friends."

I heard the doorbell ring, snapping me back into the present reality.

"Shaye, Benny's here!"

Quickly, I fumbled through my closet for a clean pair of clothes, and hopped towards the door as I put one shoe on, hurriedly, then the other. I knelt down to tie my laces, and glanced over my shoulder at the lip balm on my nightstand.

I decided to rush over and put some on, in case.. well, in case any kissing of a certain someone was in store for today.

"Shaye, come on!"

I grabbed my glove off my dresser, and opened the door, running through the hall to the front door, when Scott and Benny stood waiting on the porch.

My heart somersaulted when my gaze met Benny's.

He smiled, the morning sunlight melting his warm brown eyes like honey.

I beamed, my delighted face blooming like roses.

"Morning," he said, with a nod. His smile felt special, like it held a secret only the two of us knew.

"Morning."

Benny laughed softly, and I did the same.

Scotty looked at the both of us like we were nuts.

"Come on guys," Scotty, said. "Let's go play ball."