the alley

After school that day, I exchanged home phone numbers with Kate, Benny, Bertram, and even Ham.

Ham was hesitant to give it to me though – I honestly didn't get why he still acted weird around me, like he didn't want me around.

Everyone was under orders by their parents to spend that afternoon studying for finals – everyone but me.

I walked out of the building between Benny and Kate, who were busy complaining about finals.

"Ughhhh, Shayeeeee. You are so lucky you don't have to come to school anymore," Kate whined. "I don't get algebra. But I swear to God, if I don't get an A on everything my father will ground me for life."

"Kate, at least if you're grounded for life, you could still find a way to be happy again," Benny said. "If I'm grounded for life, I'd never get to play baseball again."

I laughed at their worries, knowing they'd both be perfectly fine. "Guys, you two will be fine. They're not really that hard. I don't get algebra either.. or biology. And I did fine. Most of the questions are multiple choice."

"I sure hope so," Kate sighed. "This is where we split."

Kate, surprisingly enough, lived in a pretty nice house with her dad that was east of where I lived. Ham and Bertram went their separate ways, and Benny and I were left to walk together towards our street.

"So.. I've been wondering," I started. "How come you and the guys were all so against me playing ball, but all of you guys hang out with Kate? She's a girl."

Benny smiled. "Hey, I was never against you playing ball," he admitted. "The guys, well, we're all like brothers. It's not that they don't like you. They're just not used to girls."

I smiled, relieved. Most of them were still in middle school. "Ah, so basically they think I have cooties?"

Benny laughed, nodding. He had a really adorable laugh. "Yeah," he said. "Basically."

"What about you? Do you think Kate and I have cooties?" I nudged his side, playfully. My skin tingled when our arms brushed.

"Nah," he scrunched his nose. "Kate and I– and Ham, have been buddies since we were three."

I giggled, picturing them all small and baby-faced.

"And you," he blushed. "You're alright."

I was too busy trying not to laugh to realize what he'd almost just said.

We had reached both of our houses that were across the street from each other's.

"Well, I gotta go. Probably won't see you for the next three days," he said.

Benny's eyes looked sad as he said it.

Like he would miss me.

I frowned, already missing him as he started walking away from me backwards across the street.

"Aw.." I'll miss you. "Good luck with finals!"

"Thanks," he mumbled, then ran up to his house. When I reached my porch, I turned around to watch him go inside.

He was already looking at me, and when our eyes met he formed a cute smile. I smiled back, then hurried inside before he could see the blush that stained my cheeks.