the epiphany

It was the day after the camp out.

The day after I woke up to find myself laying on Benny's lap on the balcony of the treehouse.

I'd liked to have stayed there forever, I swear.

But mind you, I felt extremely awkward laying so close to.. um. I don't know, it was just too awkward for me– I mean, we were just– he was my friend.

Was.

He means so much more to me now.

Suddenly, everything made sense.

The butterflies, the way my skin would numb in bliss at his touch. All of my stupid giggling, and girly blushing–

How could I have been so stupid?

It had been totally obvious. I'm an idiot. An idiot.

I let myself fall for someone who was way too perfect– and way too otherwise entitled.

Benny already had a relationship, and that was with baseball.

So the other day when I'd awoken from sleeping on his lap, I only lingered a moment.

Then I quickly sat up and hurried away from him so as not to wake him, and I couldn't think of anything else to do so I sat back down beside him – but not too close – and waited for someone, anyone to wake up.

I tried to pretend it had never happened, but it was too late – my heart was attached.

✱ ✱ ✱ ✱

Anyways, the day after the camp out, Kate called me up early in the morning.

"Sheila!" Bill called from his den.

I was still in bed. "Sheila, there's a 'Kate' calling for you."

At the mention of her name I forced myself out of bed and walked hesitantly into Bill's restricted man cave.

I'd never been in there before and we'd been living at our new house for over a month.

"Hurry," he says, as I walk through the door. I'm expecting an important call. Bill shoves the phone in my face and I take it.

"Hey, Kate?"

"Shaye!" she exclaims from the other end. "Shaye, we need to have a talk."

"Oh boy." I hadn't meant to say that out loud.

"Actually, I need you. Come over to my house in thirty minutes. Tell Benny you can't play ball with him today– or tell your brother to tell him– but just do it. We're going out Ooh, and maybe we'll have a sleepover. Don't worry about that now, you can go back home after we've done our stuff. Kay?"

"Okay?–"

"– My address is 1110 Palmwood Lane. About 2 blocks east of school. Bye!"

And she hung up.

Why would I need to tell Benny? He doesn't control my life. It's not like he cares if I play baseball with the guys or not, right? At least for today.

As much as I tried to convince myself I wouldn't care if Benny missed me or not, I wanted him to. Nevertheless I told Scotty and my mother that I would be with Kate today before I headed out the door.