Chapter 5

5. THE LAST WITCH

Brusenna was slumped over, her chin bunched up on her chest, when Bruke woke her with a whine and a warm tongue. With a start, she took a deep breath and passed her hand over her face, smearing her nose with slobber. "Ew!" She wiped it dry with her sleeve and peered blearily out the window. She felt suddenly afraid. What if Wardof escaped last night?

She rushed to the beginning of the corn row and breathed a sigh of relief to see the bundle still securely wrapped. She glanced up and saw the first hints of light on the tree tops. Dawn would be here in moments. The journal said to wait until the first rays touched her face before singing. Not wanting Wardof to hear even the slightest bit of the song, she ran to the far side of the pumpkins.

She squared her shoulders and opened her mouth.

Oh morning light, hear my cry,

To Haven I must fly.

As she sang, mist rose up from the ground. It congealed and thickened. The moment the light hit the mist, it turned golden and flashed with small sparks. Brusenna watched in awe as the mist trailed toward the northwest—the opposite direction of Gonstower. Then, as quickly as it appeared, the mist vaporized. Brusenna let out all of her breath in a rush. "Northwest."

To the northwest was Perchance, capitol of the Harden City-State, of which Gonstower was a small part. Beyond lay the next City-State, Urway, which held Nefalie's capital, Tressalay. Beyond that, Brusenna's knowledge was scant. She knew Nefalie was a small country, with Gonstower in the middle and it had a long coast line, though she'd never seen the sea and couldn't imagine how tired her eyes would be if the view went on without end.

Back at the house, she added the journal to her overflowing satchel. No sooner had she set it by the door than Bruke's ears lifted and his growl morphed into a bark. Brusenna stiffened. The trees and brush parted. In all her life, only Coyel had openly entered the clearing around her home. But now, a horde of men emerged from the trees. She blinked in disbelief, but they were still there, lead by Garg.

She placed a hand on Bruke's head. "Stand down."

With a groan that ended in a whine, the dog sat on his haunches and glared at the intruders.

She surveyed the men invading her fields. At least twelve of them; Garg in the lead. In his hand, the leather thong trailed behind the floating pendant. The pendant steered directly toward her. Unconsciously, her fingertips found the pendant inside her dress. Smooth and hard, it felt warm to her touch.

When Sheriff Tomack caught sight of her, he put a hand on Garg's shoulder and motioned to one of his men to stay with the fat man. Then, the sheriff snatched the pendant and held it in his large fist while signaling for all but two of his men to leave. Once his men had left, the Sheriff stepped closer to Brusenna. "In front of my witnesses, please describe the events."

Brusenna watched with delight as all but Sheriff Tomack's face went green as she told of binding Wardof with the corn.

He held out the other half of the amber necklace, the waning gibbous. "I figure it should be yours after the trouble Wardof put you through."

Brusenna studied the pendant as it twisted and twirled, catching the sunlight as it strained toward her. She'd forgotten about it until now. She reached out. At her touch, it went limp. She rubbed the stone beneath her thumbs. After only a moment's hesitation, she eased the thong over her head. Laying them side by side, she pushed. The pieces fit together with a click. Her eyes widened as the pendant began to glow. Thin streamers of light swirled away from it. All plants the light touched grew and turned a richer shade of green. Slowly the light faded to nothing. Her heart beating in her throat, she stared at the now-full moon—nothing but a thin curving seam showed where the two pieces parted.