Chapter 29

29. APPRENTICE

Back ramrod straight, wrists resting on her knees, Senna sat inside the Ring of Power. Spaced at even intervals all around her were the Witches who had recovered from their imprisonment, while those not yet in full possession of their minds docilely waited where they'd been led, eyes glassed over.

 Arianis was among them. Senna had learned from one of the other Witches that, though Arianis wasn't much older than Senna, she was the second-most powerful Witchborn in the last century.

Coyel stood in the circle's center, in command of the proceedings. Though her hair fell damp down her back and her dress hung heavy with water, she was still an imposing sight. Drawing herself up to her full height, her eyes zeroed in on Senna. "I remind you all, our ceremonies are sacred. We do not discuss them with outsiders or even our own Witchlings. Failure to obey this rule will have serious consequences."

Shame burned Senna's cheeks. She knew the words had been for her alone and the other Witches knew it, too. Her ignorance of the workings of the Witches felt like a brand on her forehead.

Coyel spread her arms skyward. "Keepers, we have a great deal to repair this day. Much of our world has gone awry since last we fought to preserve it. And while it will take years, we must begin restoring the lands to their former rhythms." Her gaze rested upon Senna. "But first, we must choose a Witch to serve as our channeler."

Surprised eyes turned toward Senna. She itched to squirm under the heat of those penetrating gazes.

Sacra lifted a hand in protest. "She's not ready, Coyel."

"To be a channeler, she must be a full Witch. She hasn't even been initiated as a Witchling," Drenelle added.

"Does she have strength enough to serve as a channeler? If not, the act itself could kill her," said the Head of Water, a woman Senna had heard the others call Chavis.

Coyel turned to Prenny. "Well, does she?"

Prenny twisted down a rose-colored glass as though dreading what it might tell her. "She's got the strength," she said reluctantly. "She's a Level Seven."

Gasps and exclamations shot around the circle.

"A Level Seven!"

"We've only had one Level Six in the past decade!"

"She can't be stronger than Arianis! It's impossible!"

Senna felt her mother's shocked gaze on her. Coyel squatted in front of her mother. "Why didn't you tell me this?" she whispered.

"I saw no signs of a Level Seven."

"What's her affinity?"

Sacra shrugged. "Plants."

Senna leaned toward them. "I don't understand."

Coyel shot Sacra one final look of exasperation. Then she whispered to Senna, "Only one other Level Seven was born in the last century." Her lips were pressed in a grim line.

Senna's eyes widened. "You mean ... Espen?"

Sacra looked away. Coyel nodded. "Your song is the strongest one here. It makes the others nervous."

For the first time, Senna wondered if the Creators had given her a gift or a burden.

"Well, then," Chavis said with a shrug, "let the girl. She's certainly earned the right,"

"I'm with her mother," Prenny said. "She's not ready."

Coyel turned to Senna. "The vote is split. That leaves it in my hands." A murmur of protest rose from Drenelle and Prenny. Coyel silenced it with a wave of her hand. "She entered her apprenticeship when she defeated Espen." The two pressed their lips together but offered no further protest. Senna sensed the other Witches in the circle exchanging uneasy glances.