Chapter 20

20. WITCH FRIENDS

 The ground seemed to roll beneath Senna. Steadying herself against Knight's sweat-damp shoulder, she watched the tiny figures aboard the Sea Witch. At this distance, the holes in the vessel's side gaped like the ragged teeth of a giant's maw. "Are you sure you can make it back?"

 Parknel was loading her saddle bags with hard tack and salt fish. "We'll patch it. Long as we don't hit any major storms, we'll be alright."

"But—"

Parknel surprised her from behind with a breath-stealing hug. "Now, don't you worry about us. We'll make it back. Have Mcbedee fix her up right in Nefalie." The wrinkles around his eyes faded. "Maybe you'll finish 'fore we do, then we can all go back together."

She closed her eyes so he wouldn't see her dread. "No. Don't wait."

He nodded. "All the same, we'll be here a few weeks." He shook Joshen's hand. "You're a right good man. Keep her safe."

Joshen looked down at his feet and nodded.

Swinging an axe onto his shoulder, Parknel disappeared in the jungle.

Her legs wobbly, Senna climbed into the saddle with a sigh of relief. Now, if only she could escape the waves of heat rolling over her like the steam from a bread oven.

Joshen grunted as he wiped his forehead with his sleeve. "Which way, Senna?"

She'd thought a great deal about this during her last, sleepless night on board the Sea Witch. She turned Knight toward the village they'd passed yesterday. "If Espen created a place like Haven, the Tartens would notice. We just have to find a way to get them to tell us."

Joshen looked away. "The majority of Tartens don't like Nefaliens. Parknel said their Chancellors imprison any Witch they find. You know that, right?"

Senna let Knight pick his way through the sand. "Well then, we won't tell them I'm a Witch. Besides, if Nefalien merchants still trade with the Tartens, it can't be too bad. We'll ask some indirect questions at the small village we saw yesterday." She hoped her voice sounded more confident than she felt. Ahead, a road traveling a little farther inland parted the dense jungle. She twisted to catch one last glimpse of the Sea Witch before the heavy foliage swallowed the ship whole.

Joshen fiddled nervously with his reins. "I suppose you're right, but I don't like it."

Senna took stock of the jungle. So different from the forests of her home. Denser and more abundant, yet at the same time more fragile. She doubted a killing frost had ever brushed across these tender leaves. Even the smell of soil and growing things was different because of the heavy undercurrent of rot.

And something else. She sniffed—a lazy fire and fish. The trees thinned, revealing a house made of white mud with a thatched roof. Laundry shifted like tethered ghosts on the lines. A small garden grew fat over cleared ground.

"Senna," Joshen said with an undercurrent of fear. She followed his gaze. She'd been so busy studying the strange house she hadn't noticed a group of mounted figures in the distance. All wore blood-red coats with gold trim and buttons. Soldiers. At least six of them. A hard ball formed in her throat. Noisily, she tried to swallow around it.

He pointed to a smaller side road that led past the house, between two of the rounded mountains. "I think we'd better get off the main road."

She didn't argue as they turned south onto the rutted path. Even though it appeared little used, she had to maneuver Knight to the side to allow a dark Tarten man driving a mule and cart to pass them. He gaped at her in disbelief.