Chapter 34

34. RING OF POWER

 Grendi paced the barrier, her gaze raking across each and every Witch, as if searching for the weakest among them. "You cannot hold it forever. Eventually, one of you will break and then I'll see to it you are all executed. I'll burn your bodies and bury your ashes in the deserts of the south. None will mourn your passing."

 She paused. "But for one of you, I'll grant a pardon. I'll give you a small allowance and a home of your own, with the condition that your tongue be removed and any spawn drowned."

Senna's fists clenched until her nails pressed half moon circles into her palms. What kind of monster thought that was generous?

"Your offer isn't freedom," Prenny said, "but isolation in some run-down shack with songs stripped and children murdered."

Senna felt like cheering the woman on.

"Each of us has already faced imprisonment, many for years." Coyel said. "A half life isn't much of a life."

"Nor would we betray our Keepers," Drenelle added. "We saw what Espen did."

Chavis glared at the woman. Tiena leaned against Senna.

Grendi moved to the edge of the barrier. Senna found herself hoping the woman would take one more step, just one, so the barrier would send her careening into the far wall.

Unfortunately, Grendi could see the barrier's boundaries. "Some of you are considering it. And why not? You're all bound to die. Why not allow one to survive? Someone will bow before the end, why not you?"

"Your words are poison" Senna said. "And we all know it. You aren't talking to common women, Grendi. We're Keepers."

An evil smile spread across Grendi's face. "Everyone has a vice, Brusenna, daughter of Sacra. For your mother, it's you and for you, her. The woman to your left, Coyel, she'd not break. But the woman four down, her aging mother fled into the woods when you were captured. I've had my men looking for her. Would she not break the circle to save the old woman's life?"

"No," Tiena replied. "You don't understand, Grendi. But in time, when you are starving like the Boors, you will see what Witches do for you."

"I don't fear your curse!" Grendi shrieked. "I turned one of you once and she nearly destroyed you! I'll turn one of you again!"

"I would leave the city if I were you, Grendi," Senna said.

"And why is that, Brusenna?" Grendi asked. "Is your curse going to blow in a storm?"

The Witches brooded until Chavis spoke inside their minds, Let's destroy it now.

Coyel gave her a withering look. Not until Reden comes back and tells us the city has been evacuated. Besides, we have to give Parknel enough time to reach us. Reden said he'd inform us when the ship came into sight.

Drenelle shifted uncomfortably. "My hands are numb." She wiggled her fingers, working to increase the blood flow.

Senna had already noticed her hands were a dusky blue. "It won't be much longer," she promised. She tried to calculate how far the ship had gone after they'd spotted Carpel. But she hadn't been paying much attention. Perhaps half a day, perhaps more?

Glancing at the other Witches, Senna knew they wouldn't be able to wait much past nightfall. Their fatigue was obvious. Senna felt dizzy from lack of food and water. Under the cover of darkness, their plan must be set into action.

At dusk, Reden returned with his musket in hand, two pistols strapped to his sides and a large bag. In Tarten, he spoke to the guards. When they left, he said, "Most of the city is gone. Grendi is in a fine fit about it, but I told her about your evil plants and how I feared you'd put up a fight before you gave up. She finally allowed it. But I must warn you, not a single soldier has left."