Chapter 30

30. WITCH WAR

 Alongside the Discipline Heads and her mother, Senna was in the first line of Witches to flow from Espen’s jungle toward the city of Zaen. She flinched when the soldiers atop the wall shouted a warning. On either side, her mother and Coyel packed a little tighter. Senna glanced behind her and saw the other Witches do the same—their grim faces looking steadily forward. All of them were barefoot to better feel the Earth, the first Sister.

 The Witches were at war.

Senna felt the plants trembling in anticipation of a Witch song. As they neared the main road, the people of Tarten shrank from them, calling for the soldiers as they ran for safety behind the city wall. She wished she could be closer to Joshen, but that would sever her connection with the others. Instead, he walked unarmed beside them.

As Head of Water, Chavis led in battle, which also meant she served as their channeler. She struck up a song. Senna and the others joined her.

Take in light, take in air;

Spread thy roots, thy leaves grow fair.

All the plants within the sound of their voices stretched upward and flaunted their leaves; behind them, the land grew more lush.

Without pause, they marched to the guard house where Senna had been pummeled by Wardof. There, the Witches’ progress halted with their voices. She felt the gaze of the soldiers and she couldn’t help but remember her trips to Gonstower market as a girl. She yearned to shrink deeper into the protective lines of bodies behind her. But she’d accepted when Coyel had offered her a place in the first line. She wouldn’t shame herself by backing away now. I’ve faced worse, she told herself as she planted her feet. And I was alone then.

Chavis spoke while Tiena translated for the Witches who didn’t speak Tarten, “I’m Chavis, Head of Water and War General. I come seeking Desni. Release her and you have nothing to fear.”

The main door cracked open and a commander came out—the same commander who had caused Senna so much pain. “I’m Methen, Commander of Zaen,” Tiena translated. The commander’s eyes flicked to the Witches flanking Chavis on every side. Recognition touched his eyes when he saw Senna.

Unconsciously, her hand wandered to her temple. Anger swelled within her like a bruise. Her throat burned with a song that could hurt him as badly as he and Wardof had hurt her. Methen was gauging them. And he was afraid. She longed to justify his fears.

He signaled toward the building. Soldiers rushed out, forming ranks beside him. He spoke and once again, Tiena translated, “There are warrants for the arrest of all Witches, so see her you shall.” He strode forward, his soldiers behind him.

Chavis threw a barrier seed. The Witches packed tight and gripped forearms. The connection of their bodies also intertwined their minds. With one voice, they sang.

Barrier tree, strengthen thyself and fresh courage take;

Our warrior thou art and our enemy, thy enemy make.

Fuelled by their collective power, the tree shot up like a lightning bolt, wider than a horse is long and deeply in tune with Chavis. Groaning, it stretched forward and gripped the building. With a sharp crack, the mud walls fractured and slowly arched forward. With eyes full of horror, the soldiers ran for their lives as the entire side of the building crashed down on them.

Dust and debris rushed toward Senna like a tidal wave.

Don’t let go! Chavis’ words echoed in her head.

Clenching her eyes, Senna turned away as the cloud overtook them. Her mother and Coyel gripped her arms tighter. Senna gripped them back. Something sharp stung her cheek. She felt warm blood trickle down her face. As the dust cleared, she searched for Joshen and was relieved to see him covered with dirt, but unhurt. Soldiers lay at the foot of the tree. Methen rose to his knees. With a sharp command, he grabbed his musket.